Wednesday, July 22, 2015

What Have I Done unto You? Micah 6:3


As Micah began this section of prophesy, he talked about the way the LORD called upon the “mountains, hills and foundations of the earth” to be witnesses to the “controversy” He had with His people. We have marveled to think the Creator of all the Universe would even bother to bring a case against them, but in it have seen the setting for our LORD's loving care for His own. In chapter six and verse three, Micah shares the LORD's questions concerning His behavior toward the people where we read:

O my people, what have I done unto you? and wherein have I wearied you? testify against me.

The verse begins, “O my people, what have I done unto you?” When Micah began this verse, he used the phrase “O my people” which means “nation, kinsman or kindred”, and the fact that he employed the word “my” shows control, ownership and possession. Even after the pernicious ways they lived, the LORD declared the people as His own, and then asked, “what have I done” or “fashioned, accomplished, made or produced” “unto you”? Let us try to imagine the manner in which the LORD asked this question. It is as though He is amazed they would behave in the way they have because He has been so good to them. The LORD's question could have been answered, “nothing bad at all”.

The verse goes on to say, “and wherein have I wearied you? Testify against me.” As though one question from the LORD was not enough, He asked, “and wherein” or “where and in what place” “have I wearied you” which means “been impatient with, been grieved with, offended, tired or exhausted you”. The LORD added, “Testify” or “answer, respond, speak or witness” “against me”. The LORD's challenge to the people was they bring an inditement against Him for any law or rule that was for the sake of “wearying” them. God always looked after them, and when He gave them the law, they were only rules to keep them protected and safe rather than simply to “weary” their lives.

As we think about these words as recorded by the prophet Micah, can we imagine being questioned by God in this manner? What if He were to ask us, “what have I done unto you?” or “where have I wearied you”, and then added, “Testify against me” to add emphasis to His line of thought? We might feel greatly intimidated. When we consider the LORD's love, care and sacrifice for us through His Son Jesus, we should bow our heads as certain as these people did, and answer, “You have done nothing but good. We have no where you have wearied us, and we have no response against you.” May the LORD Jesus help us to fully know God's Spirit behind these questions and remember, the LORD is on our side no matter what conditions surround us every day.

Next time the LORD reviews His previous help to the people, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, and the new devotional “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at http://www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.




No comments:

Post a Comment