In the book of Judges we learned how Gideon, “went up there to Penuel, and spoke unto them likewise: and the men of Penuel answered him as the men of Succoth had answered him”, and in chapter eight and verse nine of Judges, we learn how Gideon said, “when I come again in peace, I will break down this tower”, where we read,
And he spoke also unto the men of Penuel, saying,
When I come again in peace, I will break down this tower.
The verse reads, “And he spoke also unto the men of Penuel, saying, …” The writer began with the words, “and he spoke also” which means “and he, Gideon, uttered, declared and proclaimed even so and indeed” “unto the men of Penuel” or “to the male human beings belonging to Penuel or Peniel whose name means ‘facing God’ and was the place named by Jacob when he wrestled with God and was located on the north bank of the Jabbok close to the Jordan”, “saying” which means “uttering, declaring and proclaiming” the following words. The writer shared how “Gideon” told the people of “Penuel” the following words.
The verse continues, “… when I come again in peace, I will break down this tower.” The writer added the words, “when I come again in peace” which means “at the time and moment I, Gideon, return in completeness, soundness, welfare, contentment and friendship”, “I will break down this tower” which means “I, shall pull, cast, beat, overthrow and destroy this elevated stage or pulpit”. The writer shared how “Gideon” told the people of “Penuel” that he would return in completeness and contentment and destroy their elevated stage.
When we think through the words in this verse, we learn how “Gideon” talked with the people of “Penuel” in the same manner that he did with the people of “Succoth”, however, the people of “Penuel” responded to him in the same derogatory way the “men of Succoth” did. Again there was opposition and resistance to the work that “Gideon” was assigned to perform by Jehovah God. These efforts would not stop “Gideon” from obeying God, and opposition should not stop us from His assignments either. God loves us, and He will help us fulfill His will when we submit to His Son Jesus who died on the cross for the sins of all mankind and rose from the grave after three days. When we believe and trust in Him as our “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and put His Holy Spirit within us to guide us into all truth and give us the ability to be persistent in whatever He assigns to us in this world. (See John 3:16; Acts 1:8; Ephesians 3:20)
Next time we learn how, “Zebah and Zalmunna were in Karkor”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.
Until tomorrow…there is more…
See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







No comments:
Post a Comment