Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Look on Me, and Do Likewise - Judges 7:17

In the book of Judges we learned how Gideon, “divided the three hundred men into three companies, and he put a trumpet in every man's hand, with empty pitchers, and lamps within the pitchers", and in chapter seven and verse seventeen of Judges, we learn how Gideon, “said unto them, Look on me, and do likewise” where we read,


And he said unto them, Look on me, and do likewise:

 and, behold, when I come to the outside of the camp, it shall be that, as I do, so shall you do.


The verse reads, “And he said unto them, Look on me, and do likewise:” The writer began with the words, “and he said unto them” which means “and he, Gideon, uttered, declared and proclaimed to them, the three hundred men”, “look on me” or “watch and observe me, Gideon”, “and do likewise” which means “and perform in a similar and same manner”. The writer shared how “Gideon” told the “three hundred men” to watch him and to imitate what he does.


The verse goes on to say, “and, behold, when I come to the outside of the camp, it shall be that, as I do, so shall you do.” The writer continued with the words, “and, behold, when I come” which means “and lo, look and consider, at the time and moment I, Gideon, enter, attain and arrive” “to the outside of the camp” or “to the border, outskirts and extremity belonging to the war encampment”, “it shall be that, as I do” which means “the following will exist, in the similar and like manner that I, Gideon, fashion, accomplish and produce”, “so shall you do” or “even so and indeed will you, the three hundred men, fashion, accomplish and produce”. The writer shared how “Gideon” told the “three hundred men” that at the time and moment he reached the outskirts of the Midianite encampment, they were to imitate that which he performed. 

When we consider the words in this verse, we learn more about the preliminary activities which were to be carried out by “Gideon and the three hundred” men against the army of the “Midianites”. Jehovah God gave “Gideon” the wisdom and instructions as to how to defeat this formidable foe, and soon, they were to fall under His mighty hand. The duty of the “three hundred men” was to follow what “Gideon” did, and when they would be obedient, they would be victorious. We shall be victorious as well when we yield to God’s Son Jesus who came into the world to die on the cross for the sins of all mankind and to be resurrected from the dead after three days. As we submit to Him as our “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and put His Holy Spirit within us to guide us into all truth and teach us the value of imitating Him in everything we do. (See John 3:16; Ephesians 5:1-2)

Next time we learn how Gideon said, “when I blow with a trumpet, I and all that are with me, then blow you the trumpets”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance". 









No comments:

Post a Comment