In the book of Judges we learned how Gideon, “divided the three hundred men into three companies, and he put a trumpet in every man's hand, with empty pitchers, and lamps within the pitchers. And he said unto them, Look on me, and do likewise: and, behold, when I come to the outside of the camp, it shall be that, as I do, so shall you do”, and in chapter seven and verse eighteen of Judges, we learn how Gideon said, “when I blow with a trumpet, I and all that are with me, then blow you the trumpets”, where we read,
When I blow with a trumpet, I and all that are with me, then blow you the trumpets also on every side of all the camp, and say, The sword of the LORD, and of Gideon.
The verse reads, “When I blow with a trumpet, I and all that are with me, then blow you the trumpets also on every side of all the camp, …” The writer began with the words, “when I blow with a trumpet” which means “at the time and moment I, Gideon, sound, thrust and blast by the use of a curved horn or cornet”, “I and all that are with me” or “I, Gideon, and each, every and the whole of the people alongside and beside me”, “then blow you the trumpets also” which means “at that time you, the three hundred men, sound, thrust and blast the curved horns or cornets even so and indeed” “on every side of all the camp” or “upon each, the whole and all borders pertaining the each and every part of the Midianite army camp”. The writer shared how “Gideon” told the “three hundred men” with him that at the time he blasted the curved horn or cornet, that he and everyone of the three hundred men alongside of him were to blast their curved horns at each side of the encampment of the “Midianite” army.
The verse continues, “… and say, The sword of the LORD, and of Gideon.” The writer added the words, “and say” which means “and utter, declare, proclaim and shout” ,“the sword of the LORD” or “the sharpened implement belonging to Jehovah who is the existing One and the proper name of the One True God”, “and of Gideon” which means “and pertaining to Gideon whose name means ‘hewer’ and was the youngest son of Joash of the Abiezrites, fifth judge of Israel who led the Israelites against the Midianites”. The writer shared how the “three hundred men” were to shout the words, “The sword of the LORD, and of Gideon”.
When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we learn how “Gideon” and the three hundred men were to use their implements of war. They were to watch “Gideon”, and at the time and moment he blasted his curved horn, they were to blast theirs upon every border of the encampment of the “Midianites”. They were also to shout loudly “The sword of the LORD, and of Gideon”, and we can imagine how frightening this would be to the “Midianite” army. God loves the people of Israel, and this is another example of how He delivers them in their time of need. He loves us as well, and when we submit to His Son Jesus who was sent into the world to die on the cross for the sins of all mankind and was raised from the dead after three days, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and equip us with His Holy Spirit who will guide us into all truth and give us the wisdom to know how to manage hating foes who rise up against us. (See John 3:16; 16:13; Acts 1:8; Isaiah 41:11)
Next time we learn how Gideon and his three hundred men, “blew the trumpets, and brake the pitchers that were in their hands”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.
Until tomorrow…there is more…
See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







No comments:
Post a Comment