Friday, April 11, 2014

The Yoke of Transgressions Lamentations 1:14

Jeremiah has been very descriptive of the way the people of Jerusalem were responding to the judgment that came upon them for falling away from their relationship with God. In chapter one and verse fourteen he continues his lament and turns his attention toward some very interesting examples of what the people felt like as they endured the suffering for their rebellion. He wrote:

The yoke of my transgressions is bound by his hand: they are wreathed, and come up upon my neck: he hath made my strength to fall, the Lord hath delivered me into their hands, from whom I am not able to rise up.

The verse begins, “The yoke of my transgressions is bound by his hand: they are wreathed, and come up upon my neck:” It is interesting that Jeremiah employs the example of a “yoke” to describe the transgressions of the people. A “yoke” was a curved piece of wood that was fastened to two animals and was primarily used for plowing fields. In this case, their “yoke” “is bound by his hand” or “kept on” by God's strength. Jeremiah said “they are wreathed” which means “intertwined” together upon the necks or “back of the necks” of those who wear them. In other words the hand of God and the binding yoke of their transgressions were intertwined together upon the backs of the necks of those who were rebellious against Him.

The verse goes on to say, “ he has made my strength to fall, the Lord has delivered me into their hands, from whom I am not able to rise up.” Jeremiah added the results of this binding yoke - “made my strength to fall”. The people of Judah and Jerusalem became powerless among those who destroyed them, and as a result they were “delivered into their hands”. Where they once defended themselves, they were “not able to rise up” or “take a stand against” those who took them into captivity.

Jesus said this in the gospel of Matthew in chapter eleven verses twenty-eight through thirty”

Come unto me, all you that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and you shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Rather than know the binding, arduous and “intertwined” hand of God upon the yoke of our transgressions, God desires to place His “easy” yoke upon us. He desires to have a relationship with us that is strong and not ready to be delivered to the captivities and bondages of the world. We have a choice in this matter. We decide whether to rebel against the ways of God as the people of Judah and Jerusalem did and know those results, or we may align ourselves with the Heavenly Father and come unto Him and receive rest. The choice seems obvious, and may the Lord Jesus lead us to the right decision.

Next time we will see more of the Lord's judgment against Jerusalem, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.
 
Until tomorrow...there is more...
 
Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, and the new devotional “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” in all major bookstore sites, www.amazon.com ; www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore




No comments:

Post a Comment