Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The LORD shall be a Light Micah 7:8


Because people who surrounded Micah the prophet were untrustworthy, he looked “unto the LORD” and waited “for the God of” his “salvation”. He knew his God would hear him. In chapter seven and verse eight of his prophesy, Micah began to address his “enemy” as he explained how the LORD would “be a light” unto him where we read:

Rejoice not against me, O my enemy: when I fall, I shall arise;
when I sit in darkness, the LORD shall be a light unto me.

The verse begins, “Rejoice not against me, O my enemy: when I fall, I shall arise;” Micah began by giving a directive, “Rejoice” or “be glad or exult” “not against me, O my enemy” which refers to “an adversary or foe either personal or national”. Micah stated, “when I fall” or “am thrown down, knocked down or prostrated” “I shall arise” or “stand up”. Micah desired for his enemy to know that even if he was knocked down by outside forces, he would stand again.

The verse continues, “when I sit in darkness, the LORD shall be a light unto me.” Micah continued his declaration to his enemy by stating, “when I sit” or “dwell, remain or abide” “in darkness” which means “in obscurity or a secret place” “the LORD” or “Yehovah or Jehovah” “shall be a light unto me” or “morning light, lamp, illumination, dawn, and day-break unto me”. Micah conceded there would be times where he would “sit in darkness” however, when this time occurred, “the LORD” would come in like a light and illuminate everything that was necessary for him.

As we meditate upon Micah's words, perhaps we find ourselves in a “fallen” or “dark” place. Maybe a situation or failure has arisen in our lives and we feel flat on the floor or in total obscurity. We may wonder if we will ever arise or exit this time of failure or depression. Let us look again at Micah's declarations, “I will arise” and “the LORD shall be a light”, and realize the same assurance that Micah had for his situations are offered to us as well through Jesus Christ our LORD. May the LORD Jesus lift us up and lead us by His great light no matter how bleak or difficult our situations may seem. In Jesus' name we pray, amen.

Next time Micah writes concerning bearing the indignation of the LORD, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, and the new devotional “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at http://www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.




No comments:

Post a Comment