In the book of Judges we learned how, “Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, she judged Israel at that time. And she dwelt under the palm tree of Deborah between Ramah and Bethel in mount Ephraim: and the children of Israel came up to her for judgment. And she sent and called Barak the son of Abinoam out of Kedeshnaphtali, and said unto him, Has not the LORD God of Israel commanded, saying, Go and draw toward mount Tabor, and take with you ten thousand men of the children of Naphtali and of the children of Zebulun?”, and in chapter four and verse seven of Judges, we learn how Deborah shares how Jehovah God said, “I will draw unto you to the river Kishon Sisera” where we read,
And I will draw unto you to the river Kishon Sisera, the captain of Jabin's army,
with his chariots and his multitude; and I will deliver him into your hand.
The verse reads, “And I will draw unto you to the river Kishon Sisera, the captain of Jabin's army, …” The writer began with the words, “and I will draw unto you” which means “I, Jehovah God, shall drag, seize, proceed and march you, Barak “to the river Kishon Sisera” or “to the flowing stream known as Kishon whose name means ‘winding’ Sisera whose name means ‘battle array’ and was the conquering general under king Jabin of Hazor and slain by Jaeland was a river in central Palestine; scene of the defeat of Sisera by the Israelites in the time of the judges and the destruction of the prophets of Baal by Elijah”, “the captain of Jabin’s army” which means “the prince, ruler, leader, chief, chieftain and official belonging to Jabin’s, whose name means ‘whom God observes’ and was another king of Hazor whose general, Sisera, was defeated by Barak, organized mass of warriors”. The writer shared how “Deborah” reminded “Barak” that Jehovah God said he would lead “Barak” to the flowing stream known as “Kishon Sisera” who was the leader and official belonging to “Jabin’s” mass of warriors.
The verse continues, “… with his chariots and his multitude; and I will deliver him into your hand.” The writer added the words, “with his chariots” which means “alongside and accompanied by his, Jabin’s, war wagons” “and his multitude” or “and his, Jabin’s, mass of people”: “and I will deliver him into your hand” which means “and I, Jehovah God, shall give, put, bestow and commit him, Jabin, over to your power, might and strength”. The writer shared how “Deborah” told “Barak” that Jehovah God would grant “Jabin’s” war wagon and masses to him, and He would commit him to “Barak’s” power and might.
When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we learn how Jehovah God was involved in the plans to defeat “Jabin” who oppressed His people Israel. Although God allowed Israel to come under “Jabin’s” command for a time, when they cried out to Him, He was preparing to deliver them from him. God also desires to save us from the power of sin and death through a personal relationship with His Son Jesus who died on the cross for the sins of the world and was raised from the dead after three days. When we yield to Him as our “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and put His Holy Spirit within us to guide us into all truth and to help us know the times when He is planning to deliver us from our difficulties and oppressors. (See John 3:16; 16:13; Acts 1:8; Jeremiah 1:8)
Next time we learn how, “Barak said unto her, If you will go with me, then I will go”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.
Until tomorrow…there is more…
See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".
No comments:
Post a Comment