In the book of Judges we learned how Jehovah God told Gideon, “Go in this your might, and you shall save Israel from the hand of the Midianites: have not I sent you? And he said unto him, Oh my Lord, wherewith shall I save Israel? behold, my family is poor in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father's house. And the LORD said unto him, Surely I will be with you, and you shall smite the Midianites as one man”, and in chapter six and verse seventeen of Judges, we learn how Gideon said, “If now I have found grace in your sight”, where we read,
And he said unto him, If now I have found grace in your sight,
then show me a sign that you talk with me.
The verse reads, “And he said unto him, If now I have found grace in your sight, …” The writer began with the words, “and he said unto him” which means “and he, Gideon, uttered, declared and proclaimed to him, Jehovah God”, “if now I have found grace” or “whether and in case I, Gideon, have attained, secured and acquired favor, charm, elegance and acceptance” “in your sight” which means “within your, Jehovah God’s, vision and presence”. The writer shared how “Gideon” presented the idea that perhaps he had gained acceptance and favor in Jehovah God’s presence, and if so, the following should occur.
The verse continues, “… then show me a sign that you talk with me.” The writer added the words, “then show me a sign” which means “at this point, time and moment work, make and produce for me, Gideon, a signal, distinguishing mark, token and omen” “that you talk with me” or “that you, Jehovah God, speak, declare and converse with me, Gideon”. The writer shared how Gideon asked Jehovah God for a signal or distinguishing mark that He was actually conversing with him.
When we think through the words in this verse, we learn how “Gideon” had some doubts as to whether he had favor with God, and he desired to have a signal or token that would prove that it was really God speaking to him. We may be able to relate to this. Sometimes we wonder if God is really speaking to us or not, and we can be assured that He has spoken to us through His Son Jesus who died on the cross for the sins of all mankind and was raised from the dead after three days. When we put our faith and trust in Him as our personal “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and equip us with His Holy Spirit who will guide us into all true and help us know when He is speaking to our hearts concerning a work in His Kingdom. (See Matthew 6:33; Hebrews 1:1-2)
Next time we learn how Gideon says, “Depart not hence, I pray you”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.
Until tomorrow…there is more…
See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







No comments:
Post a Comment