Friday, March 12, 2021

No More Drink Until the Father's Kingdom - Matthew 26:29

Matthew the apostle wrote as Jesus and His disciples, were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body. And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink you all of it. For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins”, and in chapter twenty-six and verse twenty-nine of his book, Matthew writes how Jesus said, “I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom” where we read:

But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine,

until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

The verse reads, But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, ...” Matthew began word, “but” which means “moreover and” “I say” or “Jesus utters, declares and proclaims” “unto you” which means “to Jesus' disciples”, “I will not drink” or “Jesus will not imbibe what refreshes, strengthens and nourishes the body” “henceforth” which means “from this time forward” “of this fruit” or “pertaining to the particular produce” “of the vine” which means “belonging to the grapevine”. Matthew shared how Jesus told His disciples they would not “drink” the “fruit of the vine” with the disciples from this point in time.

The verse continues, “... until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.” Matthew added the words, “until that day” which means “till the last day of this present age” “when” or “at the time and moment” “I drink it new” which means “Jesus will imbibe the fruit of the vine anew, afresh and in freshness” “with you” or “alongside Jesus' disciples” “in my Father's Kingdom” which means “in Jesus' Heavenly Father's royal power, kingship, dominion and rule”. Matthew shared how Jesus said He would “drink” the “fruit of the vine” with His disciples “until the day” they are in His “Father's kingdom”.

When we consider Matthew's words in this verse, we see how Jesus limited Himself with “drinking of the fruit of the vine” from the time of this statement until He would “drink” it again with His disciples in His “Father's Kingdom”. Jesus was on a mission, and He knew He would soon be taken captive, judged, beaten, abused and subsequently crucified. His plan was to “save” mankind from their “sins”, and at this point in His purpose, He would become the “drink” of which disciples partook. God's desire is have a relationship with every person through His Son Jesus, and when they submit their lives to Him as their personal “Savior and Lord”, they become His disciples and shall drink of the “fruit of the vine” with Him in His “Father's Kingdom”.

Next time Matthew shares what happened, “when they had sung a hymn”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment