Monday, April 25, 2011

Almost

People hear and say the following all the time. “I almost bought this, or I almost went there. I almost told him, and I almost told her. The other day when the boss said...I almost quit, and when she did that, I almost did this.” It's amazing how many times people come close, oh so close, to actually acting, but limit themselves in the last moment because of the “almost” impeding.

One supposes that “almost” is a good thing if the effect would be damage, injury, imprisonment or death such as: “I almost broke this, or I almost fell.” Maybe it would be “I almost joined them, or I almost crashed.” Avoided recklessness certainly has its benefits, and those who almost venture here are definitely preserved. However, most of the “almosts” encase a ting of regret.

That investment, that house, that woman, that man, that adoption, that job, that car, that motorcycle, that opportunity, that move, and the list goes on and on as people make choices that may have been steeped in great reward, but now will never be known. The moment is gone, and the “almost” choice limited the potential for knowing for sure.

One fellow said, “almost thou persuadest me...”, and a person wonders where he is today. One step, one near step, an oh so close step, and now he has a very, very long time to think about when he “almost” made the choice.

The reader may wonder, “is this writer almost done?” Almost.

Until tomorrow...Why Say More?

No comments:

Post a Comment