Saturday, April 30, 2011

Herkamer and Gertrude and the Double Bind Part 2

Herkamer's boss put him in a difficult situation when he would say, “Make more sales, but don't make more sales.” Of course it's the old double bind, and most people are unaware when they order them, but when Herkamer's boss said it this time, Herkamer decided to go see wise old Brother Hadley. Herkamer had just pulled into Brother Hadley's old farmhouse drive, saw Brother Hadley sitting on the front porch whittling and rising to greet him. Herkamer was just about to say hello when he saw Brother Hadley stand and say...

“Well now boy, it's about time you came around here again” as he chuckled and laughed. Brother Hadley walked over to Herkamer, grabbed him hard around the back, and gave Herkamer a squeezing hug that made Herkamer nearly lose his breath. “Son, how are ya?” Brother Hadley asked loudly even though he already noticed the trouble on Herkamer's face. “Not so good, Brother Hadley,” Herkamer replied and continued. “I have this trouble with my boss.” “Tell me about it, son” Brother Hadley said as he walked with Herkamer and pointed for him to sit down on the front porch.

Herkamer sat in one of the rockers and continued, “My boss tells me to do things and then not do the very same things. It's frustrating because it seems that I can never know which way I should go or what I should do or not do.” Brother Hadley listened, shook his head, and stroked his chin with his long brown spotted fingers and thumb. Herkamer continued, “I'm just exasperated, and thought maybe you could help me.”

Brother Hadley stopped rocking his chair, looked deep into Herkamer's eyes and said, “I believe if you wouldn't blow your balloon so tight, it wouldn't make such a racket when it busts.” Brother Hadley now had Herkamer's complete attention. He listened closely as Brother Hadley continued...

Stay tuned for the conclusion of the story tomorrow. Same Blog Spot. Same Blog Time. Until tomorrow...Why Say More?

No comments:

Post a Comment