Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Did I Use Lightness? 2 Corinthians 1:17


Paul the apostle told the church members in Corinth how he was “to pass by you into Macedonia, and to come again out of Macedonia unto you”. He added, “and of you to be brought on my way toward Judaea”, and in chapter one and verse seventeen of Second Corinthians, Paul asked the church members, “did I use lightness”, where we read:

When I therefore was thus minded, did I use lightness? or the things that I purpose, do I purpose according to the flesh, that with me there should be yes yes, and no no?

The verse begins, “When I therefore was thus minded, did I use lightness?Paul began with the word, “when I” which means “at the time when Paul took counsel, deliberated and resolved with himself” “therefore” which means “then, accordingly, consequently and these things being so” “was thus minded” which means “took counsel and resolved” “did I use lightness” or “whether at all and perchance Paul used levity and fickleness of mind”? Paul questioned the church members as to whether they thought he used “levity and fickleness of mind” when he purposed to see the church members.

The verse continues, or the things that I purpose, do I purpose according to the flesh, that with me there should be yes yes, and no no? Paul added the words, “or the things” which means “that which” “that I purpose which means “Paul deliberated with himself, considered, took counsel and resolved”, “do I purpose” or “did Paul deliberated with himself, considered, took counsel and resolved” “according to the flesh” which means “down from, through out, according to, toward and along the sensuous nature of a person”, “that with me” or “so along with Paul” “there should be” which means “there would exist” “yes yes” or “verily, verily, truly, truly, assuredly, assuredly and even so, even so”, “and no no” which means “no, nothing and not at all”. Paul asked the church members whether they thought he shared with them out of his “flesh” nature which would convey “yes” or “no” answers.

When we meditate upon these words from Paul, we see how he was concerned with the way the church members received what he said to them. He did not “use lightness” or “frivolity” with them, nor did he respond with “fleshly” means. Jesus Christ desires to have an honest and open relationship with us, and His responses and answers are according to the Spirit and not the “flesh”. “Lightness” was unnecessary, and truth was promised to set people free.

Next time Paul tells the church members, “as God is true, our word toward you was not yes and no, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.






No comments:

Post a Comment