Tuesday, February 14, 2023

A Voice Saying Slay and Eat - Acts 11:7

Luke the physician wrote how “the apostles and brethren that were in Judaea heard that the Gentiles had also received the word of God. And when Peter was come up to Jerusalem, they that were of the circumcision contended with him, saying, you went in to men uncircumcised, and did eat with them. But Peter rehearsed the matter from the beginning, and expounded it by order unto them, saying, I was in the city of Joppa praying: and in a trance I saw a vision, A certain vessel descend, as it had been a great sheet, let down from heaven by four corners; and it came even to me: Upon the which when I had fastened mine eyes, I considered, and saw four-footed beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air”, and in chapter eleven and verse seven of the book of Acts Luke shared how Peter said, “I heard a voice saying unto me … slay and eat” where we read:

And I heard a voice saying unto me, Arise, Peter; slay and eat.

The verse begins, “And I heard a voice saying unto me, Arise, Peter; Luke began with the words, “and I heard a voice” which means “and I, Peter, was endowed with the faculty of hearing, perceiving and understanding a sound or tone of uttered words” “saying unto me” or “uttering, declaring and proclaiming to me, Peter”, “Arise” which means “get, rise or stand up”, “Peter” whose name means “a little rock or stone and was one of Jesus' disciples”. Luke shared how “Peter” told the Jewish “apostles and believers” that a voice speaking to him by name instructed him to “get up” and do the following.

The verse continues, “slay and eat. Luke added the word, “slay” which means “sacrifice, kill and slaughter” “and eat” or “and consume and devour”. Luke shared how “Peter” told the Jewish “apostles and believers” the “voice” instructed him to “sacrifice” the animals that he saw on the “linen sheet” and consume them.

When we think through Luke's words in this verse, we see how “Peter” continued to tell his story to the Jewish “apostles and believers” who wanted to know why he went to the “Gentiles”. “Peter” was told to “sacrifice and eat” the “four-footed beasts, reptiles and birds” which were non-kosher” foods, and God used this to show him how he was not to resist sharing His “gospel” with pagan people. God loves everyone, and when they come to Him through His Son Jesus as their personal “Savior and Lord” He will forgive their sins and grant them everlasting life. Let all who are challenged by “Peter's” testimony yield to Jesus.

Next time Luke shares how Peter told the Jewish believers, I said, not so, Lord, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment