Thursday, February 9, 2023

Coming without Gainsaying - Acts 10:29

Luke the physician wrote how two servants and a soldier of Cornelius went to Joppa to find Peter. After arriving at Simon's house where Peter was staying, they met Peter and convinced him to go see their master Cornelius. After entering Cornelius house, Peter found many people gathered there, and he said,You know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God has showed me that I should not call any man common or unclean, and in chapter ten and verse twenty-nine of the book of Acts Luke shared how Peter told the people, “I came to you without gainsaying” where we read:

Therefore came I unto you without gainsaying, as soon as I was sent for:

I ask therefore for what intent you have sent for me?

The verse begins,Therefore came I unto you without gainsaying, as soon as I was sent for:” Luke began with the words, “therefore came I unto you” which means “wherefore, on this account and consequently I, Peter, arose and appeared to you, Cornelius and the people within his house” “without gainsaying” or “promptly and without contradiction”, “as soon as I was sent for” which means “at the very moment I, Peter, was summoned and invited”. Luke shared how “Peter” told “Cornelius” and the people gathered in his home because God told him not to “call any man common or unclean”, he “came” to them immediately when he was invited.

The verse continues, I ask therefore for what intent you have sent for me?” Luke added the words, “I ask therefore for what intent” which means “I, Peter, inquire and question what is the thought, consideration or reckoning that” “you have sent for me” or “you, Cornelius and the people gathered in his home, have summoned and invited me, Peter”? Luke shared how “Peter” asked “Cornelius” and the people in his home what was their “purpose or thought” that encouraged them to invite him.

When we think through Luke's words in this verse, we learn how “Peter” told “Cornelius” and the people within his home he did not delay coming to them after he was invited because God let him know he was to receive people regardless of their nation of origin. He asked them what their “intent” was for summoning him. We shall see their answer in our next verse, but for now, let us realize God was at work in both “Peter” and “Cornelius and his guests” to share the “good news” of salvation through His Son Jesus. God wants to have a personal relationship with everyone, and when they yield themselves to Jesus, He will forgive their sins and grant them everlasting life. Let all who read these words understand, God sent “Jesus” for them.

Next time Luke shares how, “Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment