Thursday, February 9, 2023

Fasting Four Days Ago - Acts 10:30

The physician Luke wrote how two servants and a soldier of Cornelius went to Joppa to find Peter. After arriving at Simon's house where Peter was staying, they met Peter and convinced him to go see their master Cornelius. After entering Cornelius house, Peter found many people gathered there, and he said,You know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God has showed me that I should not call any man common or unclean. Therefore came I unto you without gainsaying, as soon as I was sent for: I ask therefore for what intent you have sent for me?, and in chapter ten and verse thirty of the book of Acts Luke shared how, “Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting” where we read:

And Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting until this hour;

and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing,

The verse begins,And Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting until this hour;” Luke began with the words, “and Cornelius said” which means “and Cornelius, whose name means of a horn and was a Roman centurion of the Italian cohort stationed in Caesarea, uttered, declared and proclaimed”, “four days ago I was fasting” or “four sunrises to sunsets previously I, Cornelius, was refraining from eating and consuming food” “until this hour” which means “till the certain or definite time”. Luke shared how “Cornelius” began to share with “Peter” how he came about to invite him to his home.

The verse goes on to say, and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing,” Luke continued with the words, “and at the ninth hour I prayed” which means “at around the ninth hour of the day which is about three in the afternoon I, Cornelius, offered orations, supplicated and worshiped God” “in my house” or “within my, Cornelius', dwelling place, habitation and abode”, “and, behold” which means “and lo, look and consider”, “a man stood before me” or “a male human being was standing in front of me, Cornelius” “in bright clothing” which means “clothed in shining, brilliant and magnificent garments or apparel”. Luke shared how “Cornelius” told “Peter” about “praying” at three in the afternoon when a “man” who was clothing in “shining garments” “stood” in front of him.

When we consider Luke's words in this verse, we learn how “Cornelius” recounted to “Peter” his “story” of praying and encountering “a man” in “shining garment”. This will convince “Peter” that his mission to “Cornelius'” home was not in vain, and we shall see how “Peter” responds in our next verse. For now let us understand this was the next step in God's desire to save “Cornelius” and the people gathered in his house. God loves people, and He wants to have a personal loving relationship with everyone through His Son Jesus. God sent Jesus to the world to die on the cross so everyone who believes and trusts in Him may be forgiven of their sins and granted everlasting life with Him. Let all who read these words remember God is working behind the scenes even when He cannot be seen.

Next time Luke shares how Peter says, “Cornelius your prayer is heard”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment