Saturday, May 20, 2023

A Conscience Void of Offense - Acts 24:16

Luke the beloved physician wrote how Paul began to answer for himself before Felix the governor by saying, “Forasmuch as I know that you have been of many years a judge unto this nation, I do the more cheerfully answer for myself. Because that you may understand, that there are yet but twelve days since I went up to Jerusalem for to worship. And they neither found me in the temple disputing with any man, neither raising up the people, neither in the synagogues, nor in the city. Neither can they prove the things whereof they now accuse me. But this I confess unto you, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets. And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust”, and in chapter twenty-four and verse sixteen of the book of Acts Luke shared how Paul told Felix, “I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offense toward God, and toward men”, where we read:

And herein do I exercise myself,

to have always a conscience void of offense toward God, and toward men.

The verse begins, “And herein do I exercise myself, ... Luke began with the words, “and herein” which means “and within the ways of the Jewish belief system” “do I exercise myself” or “form, take pains, labor and strive I, Paul, my own self”. Luke shared how “Paul” told “Felix” that he labored and strove toward the idea and belief of the resurrection of the dead.

The verse goes on to say, ... to have always a conscience void of offense toward God, and toward men.Luke continued with the words, “to have always” which means “to own, hold and possess continually” “a conscience void of offense” or “a distinguishing between what is morally good and bad which prompts a person to do the former and shun the latter” “toward God” which means “to the Heavenly Father God”, “and toward men” or “and to people both male and female”. Luke shared how “Paul” told “Felix” that he continually possess a mind to live in a manner that distinguished between what is “good and bad” toward “God the Heavenly Father” and “other people”.

When we consider Luke's words in this verse, we learn how “Paul” was motivated by the promise of the resurrection to live in a “good” manner toward “God and people”. He strove to distinguish between “good behavior and speech” and “bad behavior and speech”. He did not live in a bad manner toward God or people because he knew his life would be accounted before God after he was risen from the dead. God loves people, and regardless of how they have lived, He is willing to forgive their sins and grant them everlasting life when they believe and trust in His Son Jesus. Afterward, His Holy Spirit helps them to distinguish “good” behavior toward God and people and that which is “bad”. Those who are wise submit themselves to Jesus and allow Him to direct their lives in a way that is pleasing to Him and mindful of others.

Next time Luke shares how Paul tells Felix, “after many years I came to bring alms to my nation, and offerings”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment