Monday, May 29, 2023

Paul's Manner of Life - Acts 26:4

The beloved physician Luke wrote how King Agrippa told Paul, “You are permitted to speak for yourself. Then Paul stretched forth the hand, and answered for himself. I think myself happy, king Agrippa, because I shall answer for myself this day before you touching all the things whereof I am accused of the Jews. Especially because I know you to be expert in all customs and questions which are among the Jews: wherefore I beseech you to hear me patiently”, and in chapter twenty-six and verse four of the book of Acts Luke shared how Paul told King Agrippa about his, manner of lifewhere we read:

My manner of life from my youth, which was at the first among mine own nation at Jerusalem,

know all the Jews;

The verse begins,My manner of life from my youth, which was at the first among mine own nation at Jerusalem, ... Luke began with the words, “My manner of life” which means “my, Paul's, certain, true, sure and indeed way of living” “from my youth” or “since the time of my, Paul's, youthful age”, “which was at the first among my own nation” which means “that was at the beginning and origin with my, Paul's, own personal multitude of individuals of the same nature or genus” “at Jerusalem” or “in the city of Jerusalem whose name means set you double peace and is the capital of Palestine”. Luke shared how “Paul” told “king Agrippa” about the “beginning” of his youthful life which was within the city of Jerusalem and with the Jewish people.

The verse goes on to say, ... know all the Jews;Luke continues with the words, “know all” which means “understand, perceive and discern each, every, the whole and everyone of” “the Jews” or “the Jewish people as respects to birth, origin or religion”. Luke shared how “Paul” confirmed that every one of the Jewish people knew that his youth was spent in “Jerusalem” among them.

When we think through Luke's words in this verse, we learn after acknowledging “king Agrippa” and his ability to understand “Jewish” law and customs, he began sharing about his time as a youth in Jerusalem as he lived among the Jews. Without being too verbose, “Paul” wanted “king Agrippa” to know that his “origin” was within the Jewish community. In other words, he identified with them. Rather than appearing as an insurrectionist or a rebellious person, “Paul” shared how he understood the Jewish beliefs and customs. God uses people from all backgrounds to share His gospel message of salvation through His Son Jesus with the world. Every person who receives Jesus as their “Savior and Lord” will receive forgiveness of their sins and be granted everlasting life with God, and regardless of their beginnings, they are invited to come to Jesus and be saved.

Next time Luke shares how Paul tells King Agrippa those who knew him would testify, “that after the most straightest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment