Monday, May 29, 2023

Paul Lived as a Pharisee - Acts 26:5

Luke the beloved physician wrote how King Agrippa told Paul, “You are permitted to speak for yourself. Then Paul stretched forth the hand, and answered for himself. I think myself happy, king Agrippa, because I shall answer for myself this day before you touching all the things whereof I am accused of the Jews. Especially because I know you to be expert in all customs and questions which are among the Jews: wherefore I beseech you to hear me patiently. My manner of life from my youth, which was at the first among mine own nation at Jerusalem, know all the Jews”, and in chapter twenty-six and verse five of the book of Acts Luke shared how Paul told King Agrippa those who knew him would testify, “that after the most straightest sect of our religion I lived a Phariseewhere we read:

Which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify,

that after the most straightest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

The verse begins, “Which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, ... Luke began with the words, “which knew me” which means “who foreknew and were aware of me, Paul” “from the beginning” or “at the origin and initiation”, “if they would testify” which means “whether the Jewish people would bare witness and give report” of the following. Luke shared how “Paul” told “king Agrippa” that if the Jewish people who were aware of him in his youthful beginning were to bare record of him, they would disclose the following truth.

The verse continues, ... that after the most straightest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.Luke added the the words, “that after the most straightest sect” which means “that toward the strictest, precise and rigorous sect that interpreted the Mosaic law and observe the more minute precepts of the law and tradition” “of our religion” or “pertaining to our, the Jewish people's, worship and religious disciple” “I lived a Pharisee” which means “I, Paul, passed life full of vigor, strong and efficient as a Pharisee which was sect that seems to have started after the Jewish exile. In addition to Old Testament books the Pharisees recognized in oral tradition a standard of belief and life”. Luke shared how the Jewish people would have to declare that he managed his life as a “Pharisee” which was one of the most strict “sects” of religion among the Jews.

When we consider Luke's words in this verse, we learn how “Paul” told “king Agrippa” that if the Jewish people who knew him in his youth were to bare a good report concerning his life, they would proclaim that he was a member of the “sect” of “Pharisees” who were very strict concerning the Mosaic law. In other words, “Paul” belonged to the group of Jewish people who were now accusing him. “Paul” was a “religious” man before he met Jesus Christ, and he followed the rules of his “sect” to the greatest degree. However, this was not a true relationship with God. God loves people, and His desire is to have a personal relationship with every person through His Son Jesus, and no matter the religious upbringing, faith or following of doctrinal rules, nothing compares to having a relationship with God. Those who are wise will carefully study “Paul's” testimony before “king Agrippa” and yield to Jesus as their own personal “Savior and Lord”.

Next time Luke shares how Paul tells King Agrippa, I stand and am judged for the hope of the promise made of God unto our fathers, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".

 







No comments:

Post a Comment