Monday, May 29, 2023

Arresting and Killing Saints - Acts 26:10

The beloved physician Luke wrote as Paul was making his defense before King Agrippa, he asked, “Why should it be thought a thing incredible with you, that God should raise the dead? I verily thought with myself, that I ought to do many things contrary to the name of Jesus of Nazareth”, and in chapter twenty-six and verse ten of the book of Acts Luke shared how Paul told King Agrippa, many of the saints did I shut up in prison, having received authority from the chief priestwhere we read:

Which thing I also did in Jerusalem: and many of the saints did I shut up in prison, having received authority from the chief priests; and when they were put to death, I gave my voice against them.

The verse begins, “Which thing I also did in Jerusalem: and many of the saints did I shut up in prison, having received authority from the chief priests; Luke began with the words, “which thing I also did” which means “the acts and deeds against Jesus of Nazareth even so and indeed Paul made ready, produced and performed” “in Jerusalem” or “within the city of Jerusalem whose name means set you double peace and is the capital of Palestine”: “and many of the saints” which means “and a great and abundant number belonging to the pure, morally blameless and ceremonially and religiously consecrated believers in Jesus” “did I shut up in prison” or “did I, Paul, confine and incarcerate within the guarded and watched place where captives are kept” “having authority” which means “holding, owning and possessing liberty, ability and strength” “from the chief priests” or “provided by the high and principal priests”. Luke shared how “Paul” told “king Agrippa” that he committed similar opposing acts and deeds against the believers in Jesus in the city of Jerusalem, and he captured and imprisoned many of them because he obtained permission and commission to do so from the “high priests”.

The verse goes on to say, and when they were put to death, I gave my voice against them.Luke continued with the words, “and when they were put to death” which means “and at the time and moment the believers in Jesus were killed, murdered and slayed”, “I gave my voice” or “I, Paul, cast a vote, brought down and approved the actions” “against them” which means “in opposition to the believers in Jesus”. Luke shared how “Paul” told “king Agrippa” at the times when the believers were killed for their faith in Jesus, he consented and approved of them being put to death.

When we think through Luke's words in this verse, we learn how intensely “Paul” opposed the believers in Jesus. He was permitted by the “high priests” to incarcerate any believer in Jesus that he discovered, and after they were assigned to be put to death for their faith, “Paul” approved. “Paul” was in direct opposition not only to the believers in Jesus, but also to God Almighty Himself, and yet, Jesus turned him from his extreme ire to being a witness for Him. God loves people, and regardless of how opposed to Him and His plan of salvation they may be, He is able to forgive them, grant them everlasting life and change their lives to be for Him rather than against Him.

Next time Luke shares how Paul tells King Agrippa, I punished them often in every synagogue, and compelled them to blaspheme, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment