Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Chief Turtle

While gazing “pon blackened turtles gathered on yonder pond
roasting shells with sunlight's radiant blaze drying their slushy cases

One noticed within ranks the self-proclaimed chief who brandished his dexterity
by over climbing crested banks to rise above others in the crowd

Though all did laze with toasted lounge and warm themselves in selfish relax
chief exalted and pontificated his superiority over all beneath his elevated position

With brilliant glow this chelonian leatherback shone forth his resplendent charm
and beamed his lustrous understanding with intention of dissent while baking o'er the rest beneath

With testudinal loll the loggerhead shined and glittered with lauded praise
of personal conceptions far beyond generational view

Tis I the greatest don't you see? Tis mine that shine be best.
Tis I high over these menial snaps. Tis I much better than rest”

I gather those both near and far to share my radiant glow
proclaim my thoughts and custom sense to those much less below”

Exalt shall I my blackened shell for I o're distant past
or others within history whose comments shall not last”

When all at once the bank upon which chief turtle did cling gave way with sudden release
and down tumbled the terrapin king to rest upon his back while flailing legs demonstrated despair

Thus slowpoke snapper now upside down flipped upon his shell wriggled his head in desperate appeal
while those above disregarded his unloved despairing pleas

And none did help, give aid or rue nor yield their humble gain
for theirs the sun whose luminous gleam did dry their lowly frames

And none did rest till all might know the right twas given thee
the brightest in the crowd be those with upright modesty


No comments:

Post a Comment