In the book of Joshua, we learned how Jehovah God said to the people of Israel, “I brought your fathers out of Egypt: and you came unto the sea; and the Egyptians pursued after your fathers with chariots and horsemen unto the Red Sea. And when they cried unto the LORD, he put darkness between you and the Egyptians, and brought the sea upon them, and covered them; and your eyes have seen what I have done in Egypt: and you dwelt in the wilderness a long season”, and in chapter twenty-four and verse eight of Joshua, Jehovah God said, “I brought you into the land of the Amorites, which dwelt on the other side Jordan”, where we read,
And I brought you into the land of the Amorites, which dwelt on the other side Jordan;
and they fought with you: and I gave them into your hand, that you might possess their land; and I destroyed them from before you.
The verse reads, “And I brought you into the land of the Amorites, which dwelt on the other side Jordan;” Joshua or the writer began with the words, “and I brought you” which means “and I, Jehovah God, carried forth and led you, the people of Israel” “into the land of the Amorites” or “to the territory, region and country belonging to the Amorites whose name means ‘a sayer’ and was one of the peoples of east Canaan and beyond the Jordan, dispossessed by the Israelite incursion from Egypt”, “which dwelt on the other side Jordan” which means “that lived, abided and inhabited the opposite bank or edge belonging to the Jordan whose name means “descender” and was the river of Palestine running from the roots of Anti-Lebanon to the Dead Sea a distance of approximately 200 miles (320 km)”. Joshua or the writer shared how Jehovah God led the people of Israel to the territory that belonged to the “Amorites” who lived upon the opposite bank of the “Jordan River”.
The verse continues, “and they fought with you: and I gave them into your hand, that you might possess their land; and I destroyed them from before you.” Joshua or the writer added the words, “and they fought with you” which means “and they, the Amorites, did battle and war against you, the people of Israel”: “and I gave them” or “and I, Jehovah God, granted, bestowed and assigned them, the Amorites” “into your hand” which means “in to your, the people of Israel’s, power, might and strength”, “that you might possess the land” or “so you, the people of Israel, could seize, dispossess, take possession of, inherit and occupy the territory, region and country”; “and I destroyed them” which means “and I, Jehovah God, exterminated, annihilated and devastated them, the Amorites” “from before you” or “separate and apart from the front of and presence of you, the people of Israel”. Joshua or the writer shared how Jehovah God recalled how the “Amorites” battled against the people of Israel, however, Jehovah God delivered them over to the people of Israel so they could inherit their territory.
When we think through the words in this verse, we learn how Jehovah God continued to review the history of His working among the people of Israel. He led them to the country of the “Amorites” (See Numbers 21:21-27), and when the “Amorites” battled against Israel, Jehovah God delivered them to be under Israel’s power and might. Israel occupied the “Amorite” territory because Jehovah God annihilated them. God loves the people of Israel, and He loves us as well. He proved His love to us when He sent His Only Begotten Son Jesus into the world to die on the cross for the sins of all mankind and raised Him from the dead after three days. When we submit to Him as our “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and put His Holy Spirit within us to guide us into all truth and to help us live according to that truth as we allow Him to defeat all the enemies and foes that rise against us. (See Isaiah 54:17)
Next time Joshua shares how Jehovah God shares how, “Balak the son of Zippor, king of Moab, arose and warred against Israel”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.
Until tomorrow…there is more…
See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







No comments:
Post a Comment