Saturday, August 22, 2026

Fathers Brought Out of Egypt - Joshua 24:6

In the book of Joshua, we learned how Jehovah God said to the people of Israel, “your fathers dwelt on the other side of the flood in old time, even Terah, the father of Abraham, and the father of Nachor: and they served other gods. And I took your father Abraham from the other side of the flood, and led him throughout all the land of Canaan, and multiplied his seed, and gave him Isaac. And I gave unto Isaac Jacob and Esau: and I gave unto Esau mount Seir, to possess it; but Jacob and his children went down into Egypt. I sent Moses also and Aaron, and I plagued Egypt, according to that which I did among them: and afterward I brought you out”, and in chapter twenty-four and verse six of Joshua, Jehovah God said, “I brought your fathers out of Egypt”, where we read, 


And I brought your fathers out of Egypt: and you came unto the sea; and the Egyptians pursued after your fathers with chariots and horsemen unto the Red sea.


The verse reads, “And I brought your fathers out of Egypt: and you came unto the sea;” Joshua or the writer began with the words, “and I brought your fathers out of Egypt” which means “and I, Jehovah God, carried and led your, the people of Israel’s, male ancestors and progenitors from Egypt whose name means ‘land of the Copts’ and was a country at the northeastern section of Africa, adjacent to Palestine, and through which the Nile flows”:“and you came unto the sea” or “and you, the people of Israel, arrived at the Red Sea”. Joshua or the writer shared how Jehovah God recalled how He led the forefathers of the people of Israel from “Egypt”, and they arrived at the border o the “Red Sea”. 


The verse continues, “and the Egyptians pursued after your fathers with chariots and horsemen unto the Red sea.” Joshua or the writer added the words, “and the Egyptians” or “and the inhabitants or citizens of Egypt or ‘double straits” pursued after your fathers” or “followed, ran and aimed to secure your, the people of Israel’s, male ancestors and progenitors” “with chariots” which means “accompanied by war and battle wagons” “and horsemen” or “and steeds or warhorses” “unto the Red Sea” which means “to the large body of water known as the Red Sea”. Joshua or the writer shared how Jehovah said the people of “Egypt” followed after the forefathers of Israel accompanied by their war wagons and horses. 

When we consider the words in this verse, we see how Joshua continued to relay God’s reminder of the history of the people of Israel when they were freed from the bondage in Egypt and were being followed after by the “Egyptian army”. (See Exodus 14:1-7) All the while Jehovah God cared for the people of Israel even as He cares for us. He sent His Son Jesus into the world to die on the cross for the sins of all mankind and was resurrected from the dead after three days so when we put our faith and trust in Him as our “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and give us the power of His Holy Spirit to guide us into all truth and to live according to that truth wherever He leads us in this world. (See John 3:16; 16;13; Acts 1:8)

Next time Joshua shares how Jehovah God says, “when they cried unto the LORD, he put darkness between you and the Egyptians”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".










No comments:

Post a Comment