Friday, August 21, 2026

God Gave to Isaac, Jacob and Esau - Joshua 24:4

In the book of Joshua, we learned how, “Joshua gathered all the tribes of Israel to Shechem, and called for the elders of Israel, and for their heads, and for their judges, and for their officers; and they presented themselves before God. And Joshua said unto all the people, Thus says the LORD God of Israel, Your fathers dwelt on the other side of the flood in old time, even Terah, the father of Abraham, and the father of Nachor: and they served other gods. And I took your father Abraham from the other side of the flood, and led him throughout all the land of Canaan, and multiplied his seed, and gave him Isaac”, and in chapter twenty-four and verse four of the book of Joshua, Jehovah God said, “and I gave unto Isaac Jacob and Esau”, where we read, 


And I gave unto Isaac Jacob and Esau: and I gave unto Esau mount Seir, to possess it; 

but Jacob and his children went down into Egypt.


The verse reads, “And I gave unto Isaac Jacob and Esau: and I gave unto Esau mount Seir, to possess it;” Joshua or the writer began with the words, “and I gave unto Isaac” which means “and I, Jehovah God, granted, bestowed and assigned to Isaac whose name means ‘he laughs’ and was son of Abraham by Sarah his wife and father of Jacob and Esau” “Jacob” whose name means “heel holder or supplanter” and was the son of Isaac, grandson of Abraham, and father of the twelve patriarchs of the tribes of Israel” “and Esau” whose name means “hairy” and was eldest son of Isaac and Rebecca and twin brother of Jacob; sold the birthright for food when he was hungry and the divine blessing went to Jacob; progenitor of the Arab peoples”: “and I gave unto Esau” or “and I, Jehovah God, granted, bestowed and assigned to Esau whose name means “hairy” “mount Seir” which means “the rising above the plain known as Seir whose name means ‘hairy or shaggy’ and was “the land of Edom, south of the Dead Sea”, “to possess it” or “to seize, dispossess, take possession of, inherit and occupy”. Joshua or the writer shared how Jehovah God said He provided “Jacob and Esau” to “Isaac”, and He granted the mountain range of “Seir” for “Esau” to possess. 


The verse goes on to say, “but Jacob and his children went down into Egypt.” Joshua or the writer continued with the words, “but Jacob and his children” or “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding and moreover Jacob whose name means ‘heel catcher or supplanter’ and his, Jacob’s offspring and progeny”went down into Egypt” or “descended to Egypt whose name means ‘land of the Copts’ and was a country at the northeastern section of Africa, adjacent to Palestine, and through which the Nile flows”. Joshua or the writer shared how Jehovah God recalled that “Jacob” and his offspring descended into the country of “Egypt”

When we consider the words in this verse, we see how Jehovah God directed the steps of “Jacob and Esau”. “Esau” was given “mount Seir” which was known as the land of Edom, and “Jacob” descended into “Egypt”. All the while God was overseeing their journeys, and because He had a plan for the salvation of all mankind, God was setting up what would eventually lead to Him sending His Son Jesus into the world to die on the cross for sins of everyone. When He raised Him from the dead after three days, He made the way through faith and trust in Him to be forgiven of our sins, granted everlasting life and equipped with His Holy Spirit who will guide us into all truth and empower us to live according to that truth wherever He leads us in the world. (See John 3:16: 16:13; Acts 1:8; Ephesians 1:18)

Next time Joshua shares how Jehovah God said, “I sent Moses also and Aaron, and I plagued Egypt”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".

 









No comments:

Post a Comment