Wednesday, February 27, 2019

All Things to All Men 1 Corinthians 9:22


Paul the apostle told the Corinthians that he became, “to them that are without law, as without law ... that I might gain them that are without law., and in chapter nine and verse twenty-two of First Corinthians, Paul continued his exhortation to the Corinthians as he wrote, “I am made all things to all men” to “save some” where we read:

To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak:
I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

The verse begins, To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak:” Paul began with the words, “to the weak” which means “to the infirmed and feeble” “became I as weak” or “Paul came to be and happened as the infirmed and feeble”, “that I might gain” which means “so Paul might acquire Christ's favor and fellowship with” “the weak” or “the infirmed and feeble”. If it was necessary, Paul would identify with those who are “feeble” in their faith so he might “acquire” or “win” them to Christ.

The verse continues, I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.” Paul added the words, “I am made” or “Paul came to be and happened as ” “all things” which means “each, every, the whole and everything” “to all men” which means “toward each, every, the whole and every person whether male or female”, “that I might” which means “that Paul might acquire Christ's favor and fellowship” “by all means” or “through each, every, the whole and every certain way” “save some” which means “acquire favor and fellowship with Jesus Christ”. Paul became any way that was necessary to bring “some” people into “favor and fellowship with Jesus Christ”.

When we meditate upon these words from Paul, we see how open he was to identifying with people regardless of their “weak” or “strong” stance in the faith. He was able to adapt to ways that were not “eternal” to bring them into fellowship with Jesus, and we should be inspired to do the same. This was not “sinful” behavior on Paul's part, nor would he be involved in those things, but when people were bent in “weak” or “feeble” ways, it did not persuade him to avoid them. Jesus desires for everyone to know His sacrifice of death on the cross for their sins, and to everyone who is willing, He will provide “eternal salvation” and “fellowship” with God. May all who read these words know and understand His invitation to know Him.

Next time Paul tells the church members, “this I do for the gospel's sake”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, and the new devotional “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.




No comments:

Post a Comment