Saturday, February 23, 2019

Within the Hollow

While sauntering on a sullen walk
I noticed a hollowed out stem
beneath the bay of the water oak tree
rising o’er treasures within

What be that deep and hidden gain
that none doth access or see
far much below the surfacing ring
that all who dare look may perceive

Might there be jewels as jasmine or jade
tiger eye, jacinth or pearl
or rubies cut fine, perhaps diamond mine
a treasure box wholly unfurled

Maybe a ball, a basket or bug
perhaps several vines to be weaved
just what shall I find in this hollow bind
under the obscurant scene

With flashlight in hand well before dawn
I peered into precipice hole
when to my surprise no values inside
but just a quite fright to behold

For there down below in deep wooden cave
were six lonely eyes attracting my gaze
and fearful raccoons they all did count three
were now looking up and staring at me

I rattled their home and now they did squeal
and mother came running to make her appeal
and dash away fast with light in my hand
the sauntering walker my place did aband'

And lest I feel fright from this dreadful quest
my mind after treasure shall fin'lly give rest
and be thus more careful the next time to take
lest gazing below discover three snakes


No comments:

Post a Comment