Thursday, February 28, 2019

Body in Subjection to Avoid Being a Castaway 1 Corinthians 9:27


The apostle Paul shared with the Corinthians how he ran, “not as uncertainly”, and he fought, “not as one that beats the air” because he was to “obtain” “an incorruptible crown” for sharing the “gospel of Jesus Christ”. In chapter nine and verse twenty-seven of First Corinthians, Paul told the Corinthians, “I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection” “lest” he “should be a castaway” where we read:

But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means,
when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

The verse begins, But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection:” Paul began with the words, “But” which is a disassociation conjunction that means what is about to be written takes precedence over what was just stated “I keep under” or “Paul gives intolerable annoyance and wears out” “my body” which means “Paul's corpse or living body”, “and bring it into subjection” which means “brought under severity and subject to stern and rigid discipline”. Paul kept his physical “body” under strict and “severe” discipline as he shared the gospel.

The verse goes on to say, lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway” Paul added the word, “lest that by any means” which refers to “that perhaps and somehow”, “when I have preached” which means “at the time when Paul heralded, proclaimed and published the gospel” “to others” which means “toward other people”, “I myself” or “Paul himself” “should be” which means “” “a castaway” or “not standing the test or approved, unproved, spurious and reprobate”. Paul kept “under” his “body” and brought it “into subjection” because if he didn't, he might be “disqualified” or “unproven” himself.

When we consider these words from Paul, we see how serious he was concerning being “disciplined” in his body. He felt he might be “disqualified” or “castaway” if he did not “keep under” his “body”. The “gospel of Jesus Christ” is a serious, eternal matter, and the souls of people lie in the balance for “everlasting life” or “everlasting death”, and those who “promote and proclaim” it must continually “strive” to “keep” themselves “under” or “bring” themselves “into subjection” that the “gospel” not be reproached. This requires the help of the Holy Spirit of God, and those who are wise shall like Paul rely upon God Almighty to exercise the “discipline” we all need.

Next time we begin a new chapter and see Paul share about, “how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, and the new devotional “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.





No comments:

Post a Comment