Monday, February 25, 2019

I Do This Thing Willingly 1 Corinthians 9:17


Paul the apostle told the church members in Corinth, “I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me”, and he added, “woe is me, if I preach not the gospel!”. In chapter nine and verse seventeen of First Corinthians, Paul told the Corinthians what happens if he does, “this thing willingly” where we read:

For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward:
but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.

The verse begins, For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward:” Paul began with the words, “For” which means “even as, indeed, no doubt, seeing then, verily and therefore” “if I do” or “whether Paul exercises, practices and performs” “this thing” which means “the sharing of the gospel” willingly” which means “unforced, voluntarily and of his own accord”, “I have a reward” or “Paul had dues for work, wages and hire”. Paul knew when he voluntarily shared the “gospel of Jesus Christ” he received “wages” for it .

The verse goes on to say, but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.” Paul continued with the word, “but” which is a disassociation conjunction that means what is about to be written takes precedence over what was just stated “if against” which means “whether in opposition to” “my will” which means “Paul's own volition and intent”, “a dispensation” or “the management, oversight, administration and stewardship” “of the gospel is committed unto me” which is all one Greek word “pisteuō” which means “the good news of Jesus Christ was entrusted to Paul”. Even if Paul shared the “gospel” against his own will, he was “constrained by the grace of God” to do so.

When we think through these words from Paul, we realize his deep passion for sharing the “gospel of Jesus Christ”. He knew he would receive a “reward” if he shared it with a “willing” heart, but even if he was compelled to do so, “the gospel” was “committed” to him, and he would receive a “reward” for his work at a later time. Jesus Christ desires for his “good news” to be shared with the world, and those who share it shall be “rewarded” for it. There are few people like Paul who “against their will” share the “gospel”, but if they do, they shall not lose their “rewards” from the Lord Jesus.

Next time Paul shares with the church members how he presented, “the gospel of Christ without charge”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, and the new devotional “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.





No comments:

Post a Comment