Sunday, February 24, 2019

Woe is Unto Paul If He Did Not Preach 1 Corinthians 9:16


Paul the apostle “used none of” the things he shared concerning remuneration for ministers, neither did he write about them, “that it should be so done unto” him. Paul thought it would be “better for” him “to die, than that any man should make” his “glorying void”. In chapter nine and verse sixteen of First Corinthians, Paul told the Corinthians, “woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel” where we read:

For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me;
yes, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!

The verse begins, For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of:” Paul began with the words, “For” which means “even as, indeed, no doubt, seeing then, verily and therefore” “though I preach the gospel” which means “though Paul brought the good news and announced glad tidings of God's kindness in particular of the Messianic blessings”, “I have nothing” or “Paul did not have anything” “to glory of” which means “to boast or rejoice about”. Even though Paul was privileged to share the “good news” of Jesus Christ, he felt that he had “nothing” in which to brag or “boast”.

The verse continues, for necessity is laid upon me; yes, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!” Paul added the words, “for” or “even as, indeed, no doubt, seeing then, verily and therefore” “necessity” which means “imposition by circumstances, law or duty to one's advantage, custom or argument” “is laid upon” which means “rested, placed and pressed upon as urgent to” “me” which means “Paul”; “yes” or “moreover”, “woe” or “Alas! Which is an exclamation of grief” “is me” or “is Paul the apostle”. Paul felt it was a “duty” and great responsibility to share the “gospel”, and he considered it as “grievous woe” if he did not share it.

When we meditate upon these words from Paul, we see the passion he had for sharing “the gospel of Jesus Christ”. Paul felt it to be a “great grief” to him if he did not tell people about Jesus, and he needed to do so. Paul felt that he had “nothing” to “boast about” just because he was able to share the “good news”, and we also should ask the Lord Jesus through His Holy Spirit to put this passion within us. People need to hear the “gospel of Jesus Christ”. The question is, will we be the next one to care so passionately about this “good news”?

Next time Paul tells the church members, “if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, and the new devotional “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.




No comments:

Post a Comment