In the book of Joshua, we learned how Jehovah God said, “Balak the son of Zippor, king of Moab, arose and warred against Israel, and sent and called Balaam the son of Beor to curse you”, and in chapter twenty-four and verse ten of Joshua, Jehovah God said, “I would not hearken unto Balaam”, where we read,
But I would not hearken unto Balaam; therefore he blessed you still:
so I delivered you out of his hand.
The verse reads, “But I would not hearken unto Balaam; therefore he blessed you still:” Joshua or the writer began with the words, “but I would not hearken” which means “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding and moreover I, Jehovah God, would in no way or manner listen, perceive by ear, agree or consent” “unto Balaam” or “to Balaam whose name means ‘not of the people’ and was the son of Beor who was endowed with the gift of prophesy”; “therefore he blessed you still” which means “wherefore, then and on this account he, Balaam, praised and saluted you, the people of Israel”. Joshua or the writer shared how Jehovah God would not listen to “Balaam”, and “Balaam” praised and saluted the people of Israel.
The verse continues, “… so I delivered you out of his hand.” Joshua or the writer added the words, “so I delivered you” which means “therefore, then and on this account I, Jehovah God, rescued and saved you, the people of Israel” “out of his hand” or “from his, Balaam’s, power, might and strength”. Joshua or the writer shared how Jehovah God rescued the people of Israel from the power and might of “Balaam” who was being used by “Balak” of “Moab”.
When we consider the words in this verse, we learn how Jehovah God would not listen to the appeal of “Balaam” (See Numbers 22-23), and He rescued the people of Israel from the power and might of “Balaam” and “Balak” because of it. God protected the people of Israel, and in a similar manner, when we yield to His Son Jesus who died on the cross for the sins of all mankind and was raised from the dead after three days, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and put His Holy Spirit within us to guide us into all truth and protect us when our foes and adversaries attempt to draw us away from Him. (See John 3:16; 16:13; Acts 1:8; Romans 8:37)
Next time Joshua shares how Jehovah God says, “you went over Jordan, and came into Jericho”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.
Until tomorrow…there is more…
See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







No comments:
Post a Comment