Friday, May 6, 2011

From the Bottom of My

So many phrases within the English language have metaphorical meaning to describe thought and emotion. One of those phrases is “from the bottom of my heart.” Although most understand this to mean from the deepest part of my feelings, people who use this selection of words do so to infer sincerity, gravity and solemnity. Their purpose is to convince the hearer that true care is within, and they feel it in the core of their being.

Today many use the phrase “from the bottom of my heart” because the heart is located within the chest, and the bottom of the heart is where depth of emotion is felt. However, in years gone by, the bowels were thought to be seat of emotions. In that time, the equivalent of “from the bottom of my heart” was “from the bottom of my bowels”, and for a person to feel something “deep in their gut” meant to feel something to the innermost depth of their feelings. Now, that is a phrase that would be interesting to bring back into conversations. Imagine for example our President or Senators campaigning saying this, “From the bottom of my bowels, America, I promise to...” or “When I am elected, from the bottom of my bowels I will care about...”. Could it be, might it be a better choice of words? If one listens for very long, he or she might deem the verbiage from the contenders more appropriately related to the bowels rather than the heart. Isn't that which comes out of the heart much different than that which comes out of the bowels?

Of course, there are other facets of the anatomy that could be used such as: the “feet”, or perhaps the “derriere”, but they don't seem to have the same impact or output as the bowels. No, the choice for the upcoming election period must be “from the bottom of my bowels”. If this becomes the colloquial phrase of the day, at least people will not be surprised by that which comes out well after the election is over and the new position is held.

Until tomorrow...Why Say More?

No comments:

Post a Comment