Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Herkamer and Gertrude and Playing Hookey

Herkamer awoke to a rainy morning. The skies were still dark, and the rain pitter pattered upon the roof and gutters of his humble abode. Since his line of work was mostly outdoors, he knew today was going to be a bust for making sales. It just seemed like a good day to call in sick, take off, or just play hookey, and so he began to reason.

As he lie in the bed, Herkamer thought about what he would do should he stay home, and he mumbled quietly, “I'll catch up on that old model airplane that I partially assembled weeks ago, or I'll play my guitar for a while. Maybe I will just pull out that book that I have been meaning to read and spend some time enjoying that video game that I have been trying to learn. Maybe I'll just enjoy an afternoon nap, or sit for a while and talk with Gertrude about vacation spots, children or new furniture for the house.”

Herkamer was deep into his day dreaming when Gertrude began to talk in her sleep. “Then the girls will be here at ten, so I will have to mop, dust, vacuum, and do the dishes before they come,” Gertrude said in a groggy voice. She continued, “and after the girls leave, I'll have to go shopping for shoes, get my nails and hair done, look for a new dress, and most of all look for new craft supplies.”

Herkamer stared through the darkness toward the ceiling above as he continued to listen. “I'm just so happy Herky will be here to help me with all these things. He's such a good...” Gertrude continued her sleep talking and then trickled off in her daze. Herkamer's eyes widened, and his resolve was perfected. He rose from the bed, walked toward the shower, and was ready to enter the bathroom when he heard Gertrude awake and say in a slightly whining voice, “Herky, where are you going?” “I'm getting ready for work,” responded Herkamer with resolve. “Why don't you just stay home today?” Gertrude asked. “Ah, no, no, no. no. I have lots of calls to make. Lots of calls,” said Herkamer as he continued toward the shower.

After he was out of sight, Gertrude smiled and whispered, “Works every time. Works every time.”

Stay tuned for more Herkamer and Gertrude stories. Same blog time. Same blog spot. Until tomorrow...Why Say More?

No comments:

Post a Comment