Saturday, April 22, 2023

You Shall See My Face No More - Acts 20:25

The beloved physician Luke wrote how Paul told the elders in Ephesus, “You know, from the first day that I came into Asia, after what manner I have been with you at all seasons, serving the Lord with all humility of mind, and with many tears, and temptations, which befell me by the lying in wait of the Jews: And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have showed you, and have taught you publicly, and from house to house, testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ. And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there. Save that the Holy Ghost witnesses in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me. But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God”, and in chapter twenty and verse twenty-five of the book of Acts Luke shared how Paul said,I know that you all … shall see my face no morewhere we read:

And now, behold, I know that you all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God,

shall see my face no more.

The verse begins, “And now, behold, I know that you all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, ... Luke began with the words, “and now, behold” which means “and at this present time lo, look and consider”, “I know that you all” or “I, Paul, understand, perceive, discern and have knowledge that each, every, the whole and everyone of the Ephesian elders”, “among whom I have gone preaching” which means “with whom I, Paul, passed, journeyed and traveled through heralding, proclaiming and publishing” “the kingdom of God” or “the royal power, kingship, dominion and rule belonging to the Godhead bodily and trinity which is comprised of God the Father, Christ the Son and the Holy Spirit”. Luke shared how “Paul” told the “elders” in the church in “Ephesus” that he understood that every one of them to whom he had “proclaimed and heralded” the “royal power and rule” of God Almighty would not be able to have the following.

The verse continues, “... shall see my face no more.” Luke added the words, “shall see my face” which means “will observe, notice and perceive my, Paul's, front part of his head or countenance” “no more” or “no longer”. Luke shared how “Paul” knew the “elders” in the church in “Ephesus” would not “observe” his “countenance” any longer.

When we consider Luke's words in this verse, we learn how “Paul” understood that this was the last time the “elders” within the church in “Ephesus” would see him. We can imagine how difficult this was for both “Paul” and the “elders” as they cared deeply for one another. God builds a bond between those who believe and trust in His Son Jesus as their “Savior and Lord”, and when they “part” from one another, it can be very sad. God wants everyone to live in Heaven with Him, and yet, the sin within people keeps them from a personal relationship with Him. Jesus came to die on the cross for the sins of mankind, and anyone who believes and trusts in Him will be forgiven of their sins and inherit eternal life. Let all who read these words submit to Jesus and enjoy the promise of being able to see one another for all eternity.

Next time Luke shares how Paul says,I am pure from the blood of all men, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment