Thursday, April 11, 2019

My Spirit Praying in an Unknown Tongue 1 Corinthians 14:14


Paul the apostle instructed the church members in Corinth to let him that speaks in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret., and in chapter fourteen and verse fourteen of First Corinthians, Paul told the church members, “for if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prays”, where we read:

For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.

The verse begins, For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prays, ...”. Paul began with the word, “for” or “even as, no doubt, seeing then, verily and therefore”, “if I pray or “whether Paul supplicates, worships or offers prayers” “in an unknown tongue” which refers to “speaking in a language or dialect used by a particular people distinct from that of other nations ”, “my spirit” or “Paul's disposition or influence which fills and governs the soul” “prays” which means “supplicates, worships or offers prayers”. Paul declared his “spirit prays” when he prayed in an “unknown tongue”.

The verse goes on to say, “... but my understanding is unfruitful.” Paul added the word, “but” which is a disassociation conjunction that means what is about to be written takes precedence over what was just stated “my understanding” or “Paul's mind which was comprised of the faculties of perceiving those of feeling, judging and determining” “is unfruitful” or “is barren and not yielding what it ought to yield”. Paul shared how his ability to “perceive” what he was saying while “speaking in unknown tongues” was “barren” or empty.

When we think through these words from Paul, we understand his “spirit” was involved when he “spoke in unknown tongues”. Though he could not “understand” what he was speaking, Paul spoke in “tongues” anyway. The “spiritual gift” of “tongues” was given to the church for edification, and “tongues” were also beneficial to the “spirit” of those who used them. Jesus Christ sent the Holy Spirit to “comfort and build” His church, and “praying in an unknown tongue” is one of the “gifts” He provided to edify the “spirit” of both of them.

Next time Paul tells the church members, “I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, and the new devotional “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.





No comments:

Post a Comment