Friday, April 5, 2019

When I was a Child 1 Corinthians 13:11


Paul the apostle told the church members in Corinth, “when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away”, and in chapter thirteen and verse eleven of First Corinthians, Paul shared with the Corinthian church, when I was a child, I spoke as a child”, where we read:

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child:
but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

The verse begins, When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child:”. Paul began with the words, “when” which means “as long as” “I was a child” or “Paul was an infant, little not of age, untaught and understood one”, “I understood” which means “was of the same mind, agreed together and harmonious” “as a child” or “as an infant, little not of age, untaught and understood one” “I thought” which means “Paul reckoned, counted, computed, calculated and took into account” “as a child” or “as an infant, little not of age, untaught and understood one”. Paul referred to the time he “spoke, understood and thought” as “a child”.

The verse continues, but when I became a man, I put away childish things.” Paul added the word, “but” which is a disassociation conjunction that means what is about to be written takes precedence over what was just stated “when I became” or “at the time Paul was made, arose, happened and came into existence as” “a man” which refers to “an adult male”, “I put away” or “Paul rendered idle, unemployed, inactive and inoperative” “childish things” which means “things done as an infant, little not of age, untaught and understood one”. When Paul became a “man”, the “things” he did as a “child” were not longer of interest and active for him.

When we meditate upon these words from Paul, we understand he used the idea of “speaking, understanding and thinking” like “a child” to describe how “spiritual gifts” which were “in part” were to be used until that which is perfect is come”. In the same way a “child” “speaks, understands and thinks” “like a child” does, the “spiritual gifts”, though lacking in completeness, are beneficial to the church. Jesus Christ desires for His church to be “edified”, and He uses the “spiritual gifts” as “a child” uses the “words, understanding and thoughts” he possesses until he has matured.

Next time Paul tells the church members, “now we see through a glass, darkly”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, and the new devotional “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.







No comments:

Post a Comment