Thursday, April 11, 2019

Pray with the Spirit and Understanding 1 Corinthians 14:15


Paul the apostle told the church members in Corinth, “for if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful, and in chapter fourteen and verse fifteen of First Corinthians, Paul declared, I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also”, where we read:

What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also:
I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

The verse begins, What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also:”. Paul began with the word, “what is it then” or “consequently or these things being so”? “I will pray” which refers to “Paul would supplicate, worship and offer prayers” “with the spirit” or “with his disposition or influence which fills and governs the soul”, “and I will pray” which means “and Paul would supplicate, worship and offer prayers” “with the understanding” or “alongside his mind which contains faculties of perceiving those of feeling, judging and determining” “also” which means “in addition and even so”. Paul determined to “pray” both “with the spirit” and “with the understanding”.

The verse continues, I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.” Paul added the words, “I will sing” which means “Paul would cause his voice to vibrate in song” “with the spirit” or “with his disposition or influence which fills and governs the soul”, “and I will sing” which means “Paul would cause his voice to vibrate in song” “with the understanding” or “with the faculties of perceiving those of feeling, judging and determining” “also” which means “in addition and even so”. Paul determined to “sing” both with his “spirit” and his “understanding”.

When we consider these words from Paul, we notice that he employs both “praying” and “singing” “with” the “spirit” and “with” his “understanding”. Each are components of Paul's spiritual walk with the Lord Jesus. Paul implies that both were beneficial to him, and although he did not always “understand” what he was “praying or singing”, he used them both. Jesus Christ desires for the individual and the church collectively to be edified by His “spiritual gifts”, and “praying and singing” “with the spirit” and “with understanding” are two ways both may be blessed.

Next time Paul asks the church members, “when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupies the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, and the new devotional “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.





No comments:

Post a Comment