Wednesday, April 3, 2019

No Profit Though Giving to the Poor or Burned 1 Corinthians 13:3


Paul the apostle told the church members in Corinth, “though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal”, and in chapter thirteen and verse three of First Corinthians, Paul shared with the Corinthian church, though bestowing goods or being burned...without charity, it profits me nothing”, where we read:

And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor,
and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profits me nothing.

The verse begins, And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, ...”. Paul began with the words, “and though I” which means “if and in case Paul had” “bestow” which means “give to feed or nourish” “all” which means “each, every, the whole and everyone of” “my goods” or “Paul's possessions, wealth and property” “to feed” which refers to “to feed or nourish” “the poor” or “those misfortunate, without food and sustenance”. Paul used the example of “giving” everything he has to “feed” those without food and sustenance.

The verse goes on to say, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profits me nothing.” Paul continued with the words, “and though I” which means “if and in case Paul” “give my body” or “deliver and present his physical body” “to be burned” which means “to be set, lit and consumed with fire”, “and have not” or “do not hold, own or possess” “charity” which means “affection, good will, benevolence and unmerited brotherly love”, “it profits me” or “the giving and being burned assists and provide advantage” “nothing” which means “none and not at all”. Paul declared there was no “advantage” to himself if he “gave all he had to the poor” or “offered his body to be burned” without “love”.

When we think through these words from Paul, we see more examples of altruistic acts towards others “without love” and the lack of advantage it provides for those who offer them. Jesus Christ desires for His church to use the “spiritual gifts” of the Holy Spirit, and they should be employed with an attitude of “love”. When this is incorporated, not only is the church edified, but the person using the “gift” is “profited” as well. May the Lord Jesus help us to know how to use our “gifts” with “love” lest we be without any advantage or “profit” to us at all.

Next time Paul begins to describe “charity” with the church members as he told them, “Charity suffers long, and is kind”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, and the new devotional “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.





No comments:

Post a Comment