Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Prophesy, Understanding, Knowledge and Faith without Love 1 Corinthians 13:2


Paul the apostle told the church members in Corinth, “though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal”, and in chapter thirteen and verse two of First Corinthians, Paul shared with the Corinthian church about, prophesy, understanding, knowledge and faith without love being “nothing”, where we read:

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

The verse begins, And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge;”. Paul began with the words, “And though I have” which refers to “if and in case Paul had” “the gift of prophecy” which means “the spiritual gift of a discourse emanating from divine inspiration and declaring the purposes of God whether by reproving and admonishing the wicked or comforting the afflicted or revealing things hidden”, “and understand” or “to perceive, notice, discern and discover” “all mysteries” which refers to “each, every, the whole and everyone of the hidden things, secrets and dreams”, “and all or “each, every, the whole and everyone of” “knowledge” which means “the general intelligence, understanding and moral wisdom”. Paul added “prophecy and understanding mysteries and knowledge” to his list of “spiritual gifts” for the church members to consider as he makes his next statement.

The verse goes on to say, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.” Paul added the words, “and though I have” which means “if and in case Paul had” “all faith” or “each, every, the whole and everyone belief with the predominate idea of trust or confidence whether in God or in Christ springing from faith in the same”, “so that I could remove” or “transpose, transfer, remove from one place to another, change of situation or place” “mountains” which means “hills as lifting themselves about the plain”, “and have not” or “and do not have” “charity” which means “affection, good will, benevolence and unmerited brotherly love”, “I am nothing” which means “Paul would be as nothing at all”. Paul added “faith” so great that it could move mountains to his list, but noted that if he possessed all these “spiritual gifts” without having “love”, he would be as nothing at all.

When we meditate upon these words from Paul, we see how the “gifts” themselves are not the most important aspect but rather the “love” or “charity” from which they are managed. Possessing the “spiritual gifts” without “love” makes a person as “nothing”, and Jesus Christ desires not only to distribute those “gifts” to the church through the Holy Spirit, but that they would be use in a “loving” manner to edify others. May the Lord add the truth of this message to all who read.

Next time Paul shares with the church members concerning how, “though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profits me nothing”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, and the new devotional “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.





No comments:

Post a Comment