Friday, July 19, 2019

Bearing a Little in Folly 2 Corinthians 11:1


Paul the apostle ended the tenth chapter in this letter to the church members in Corinth by writing, he that commends himself is approved, but whom the Lord commends”, and in chapter eleven and verse one of Second Corinthians, Paul asks the church members to,“bear with me a little in my folly where we read:

Would to God you could bear with me a little in my folly: and indeed bear with me.

The verse begins, Would to God you could bear with me a little in my folly:” Paul began with the words, “would to God” which means “Paul wished to God Almighty” “you could bear with me” or “the church members would forbear, sustain and endure him” “a little” which means “a small amount” “in my folly” or “in Paul's foolishness, senselessness, thoughtlessness and recklessness”. Paul desired for the church members to “endure” his “foolishness” for a moment.

The verse goes on to say, “and indeed bear with me.” Paul continued with the words, “and indeed” which means “and notwithstanding and nevertheless” “bear” or “forbear, sustain and endure” “with me” which refers to “alongside Paul the apostle”. Paul asked the church members to “endure” his “foolishness” for a time.

When we consider these words of Paul, we see how he is preparing the church members for his next example to set before them. Because some of them had rejected his teachings and thought themselves superior to Paul, he presented a hypothetical situation. He discloses this situation in the next verse, but suffice it for now to realize that Jesus Christ desires for His church members to “follow Him”. Those within the church should beware of “folly” that is not presented in a supposition, and reject every idea that is not in alignment with the truth.

Next time Paul tells the church members, “I am jealous over you with godly jealousy”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then,

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.






No comments:

Post a Comment