Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Those Who Desire Occasion 2 Corinthians 11:12


Paul the apostle told the church members in Corinth, I was chargeable to no man: for that which was lacking to me the brethren which came from Macedonia supplied”, and he added, “and in all things I have kept myself from being burdensome unto you, and so will I keep myself.” Paul then questioned, “Wherefore? because I love you not? God knows.” In chapter eleven and verse twelve of Second Corinthians, Paul told the church members, “what I do, that I will do, that I may cut off occasion from them which desire occasion where we read:

But what I do, that I will do, that I may cut off occasion from them which desire occasion;
that wherein they glory, they may be found even as we.

The verse begins, But what I do, that I will do, that I may cut off occasion from them which desire occasion;” Paul began with the word, “but” which is a disassociation conjunction that means what is about to be written takes precedence over what was just stated “what I do” or “that which Paul made ready, prepared, constituted, rendered and declared” “that I will do” which means “Paul would continued to make ready, prepare, constitute, render and declare” “that I may cut off” or “so that Paul would cut and hew down, hinder and frustrate” “occasion” which means “undertakings, incentives and performances of anything” “from them which desire” or “from those who will, have in mind, intend, resolve, determine, purpose and wish for” “occasion” which means “undertakings, incentives and performances of anything”. Paul was determined to continue “doing as he did” so that he would “frustrate and hinder” any effort by people who were determined against him.

The verse goes on to say, that wherein they glory, they may be found even as we.” Paul continued with the words, “that wherein” which means “so with that which” “they glory” or “those people who vaunt, rejoice, joy and boast concerning themselves”, “they may be found” which means “those people who seek occasion might be met with, discover, learn, understand and see” “even as we” which refers to “like, in proportion and after Paul and his companions”. Paul desired for those “who desire occasion” to find themselves like he and his companions when they “gloried and boasted” of themselves.

When we think through these words of Paul, we see how he was not immune to those who were opposed to him in ministry. Though he was a mighty apostle of Jesus Christ, there were people within the church who sought an “occasion” against him. Paul's solution was to continue in his work which means, not be side-tracked by their efforts. As he kept his focus upon that which God gave him to do, when the others would “boast”, their words would fall to the ground as empty and without credibility. Jesus Christ desires workers who are not only related to Him, but who also keep their focus upon “doing what they do” in the Kingdom of God regardless of whether others “desire occasion”.

Next time Paul tells the church members how these people are, “false apostles” and “deceitful workers”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then,

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.






No comments:

Post a Comment