Sunday, November 17, 2019

Pilferers

One thought upon those fair born ones
who asked not to be here
Twas not their will nor dare their fate
that birthed them till the bier

Tis not thus I to gain myself
a ranking or a feat
it tis but thee who must respond
my care thou must complete

Ask not of me one stitch of time
or effort that my own
for thou must serve and work for me
tis me and me alone

Complain thou not that thou be taxed
tis for my feed thou need
for pilfering it be my cause
by lazy fast decree

And lest I be the more remiss
allow me to be free
to do as any that I wish
because thou owest me

And honor me as though I work
and earn as near dost thou
and yet without one hour employ
nor hand against the plough

And sure be thou about my fate
thou must not dare to charge
for you owe me my way of life
my vantage to enlarge


No comments:

Post a Comment