Friday, October 11, 2019

Another Law in My Members Romans 7:23


Paul the apostle told the people in Rome, I delight in the law of God after the inward man:”, and in chapter seven and verse twenty-three of Romans, Paul told his readers, “I see another law in my members” where we read:

But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

The verse begins, But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, ...” Paul began with the word, “but” which is a disassociation conjunction that means what is about to be written takes precedence over what was just stated “I see” or “Paul discerned, perceived and discovered” “another law” which refers to “an other or different rule” “in my members” or “within Paul's body or parts of the body”, “warring against” or “making a military expedition, taking the field in opposition and attacking” “the law” or “the rule producing a state approved of God” “of my mind” which refers to “Paul's faculties of perceiving and understanding and those of feeling, judging and determining ”. Paul recognized the “war” that was within his “mind” caused by this other “rule”.

The verse goes on to say, “... and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.” Paul added the words, “and bringing me” which means “carrying and transporting” “into captivity” or “as a captive or prisoner” “to the law” which refers to “towards the rule” “of sin” or “according to missing the mark, erring and being mistaken” “which is in” or “that is within” “my members” which means “Paul's body or parts of the body”. Paul shared how the “other rule” within his body not only “warred” against his “mind”, but also “captured” him to “sin's law”.

When we think through these words of Paul, we see how there was a “war” within him. Though he knew the “rule” which made him “approved of God”, he had another “rule” within his body and mind that was contrary to it. In other words, there was a “war” going on between what is acceptable to God and the desires of his body and mind. Jesus knew this battle would be in people, and He came to defeat the “rule” that opposes God. Jesus won the victory over “the law of sin”, and now all who receive Him as their personal “Savior and Lord” receive the “power” to win over the opposing “rule” within. Let all who know this battle within themselves read and understand these words and allow the Lord Jesus to bring them the “power” to defeat that “other law in their members”.

Next time Paul tells his readers, “O wretched man that I am”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.






No comments:

Post a Comment