Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Sin Dwells in Me Romans 7:20


Paul the apostle told the people in Rome, For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwells no good thing:”, and he added, “for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.” He continued, “for the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do”, and in chapter seven and verse twenty of Romans, Paul told his readers, “sin dwells in me” where we read:

Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwells in me.

The verse begins, Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, ...” Paul began with the word, “now” which means “moreover and” “if I do” which means “whether Paul performed, produced, constructed, made ready or prepared” “that I would not” which refers to “the thing Paul did not desire to do”, “it is no more I” or “it was not any longer or further Paul” “that do it” which means “who performed, produced, constructed, made ready or prepared”. Paul surmised that if he did things he did not desire to do, then it was no longer him who “performed” those things.

The verse continues, “... but sin that dwells in me.” Paul added the word, “but” which is a disassociation conjunction that means what is about to be written takes precedence over what was just stated “sin” which means “missing the mark, erring and being mistaken” “that dwells” or “which resides, inhabits, remains and cohabits” “in me” which refers to “within Paul himself”. Paul concluded that “missing the mark and erring” “remained and resided” within him.

When we think through these words of Paul, we see how he struggled with his “desire” and his “performance”, and he understood there was a “sinful nature” within him. Jesus Christ came to “save” people from their “sinful nature”, and by “believing and trusting” in Him people not only become “free” from their inner battle, they are promised an “everlasting life” with God.

Next time Paul tells his readers, “when I would do good, evil is present with me”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.






No comments:

Post a Comment