Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Pharaoh Raised Up for a Purpose Romans 9:17

Paul the apostle told the people in Rome how God, “said to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion”, and in chapter nine and verse seventeen of Romans, Paul told his readers how, the scripture says unto Pharaoh“for this same purpose have I raised you up” where we read:

For the scripture says unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.

The verse begins, For the scripture says unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised you up, ...Paul began with the word, “for” which means “even as, indeed, seeing then, no doubt, verily and therefore” “the scripture” or “a certain portion or section of the Holy Scripture”, “says” which means “teaches, exhorts, advises, commands and directs” “unto Pharaoh” which means “his nakedness” and was “was a common title of the native kings of Egypt”, “Even for” or “because and since toward” “this same purpose” which means “the selfsame reason and account” “have I raised you up” or “God aroused, stirred up and incited Pharaoh”. Paul referred to the “scripture” (Exodus 9:16) to demonstrate how God “stirred up” Pharaoh.

The verse continues, “...that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.” Paul continued with the words, “that I might show which means “so God could point out, demonstrate, prove, manifest and display” “my power” or “God's strength and ability to perform miracles” “in you” or “within Pharaoh”, “and that my name” which refers to “so everything which God's name covers including the thought or feeling of which is aroused in the mind by mentioning, hearing, remembering, rank, authority, interests, pleasure, command, excellence and deeds” “might be declared” or “could be published abroad, announced everywhere and in every place” “throughout all” which means “by and with each, every, the whole and everywhere in” “the earth” or “the inhabited land of men and animals”. God's reason for “stirring up” Pharaoh was to “announce and proclaim” to the world His “strength and ability to perform miracles” and that His “name” would be known everywhere by everyone.

When we consider these words of Paul, we see his reference to Exodus chapter nine and verse sixteen, And in very deed for this cause have I raised you up, for to show in you my power; and that my name may be declared throughout all the earth” (Exodus 9:16) as he showed God's ability to choose “Pharaoh” for His own “purposes”. God desired for “everyone” in the world to know His character, power and “name”, and He used “Pharaoh of Egypt” to show it. God has chosen Jesus Christ His Son to demonstrate His ability,strength and power over “death”, and because Jesus died on the cross for the sins of the whole world, when God raised Him from the dead, He displayed His power for all the world to see. God uses people for His purposes, and when He does, those who recognize His work should humble themselves before Him and receive His awesome display of power and strength to do miracles and save.

Next time we see Paul concludes God has, “mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardens”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.





No comments:

Post a Comment