Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Consenting that the Law is Good Romans 7:16


Paul the apostle told the people in Rome,that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I”, and in chapter seven and verse sixteen of Romans, Paul told his readers, “I consent unto the law that it is good” where we read:

If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.

The verse begins, If then I do that which I would not, ...” Paul began with the words, “If then” which means “whether accordingly, consequently, these things being so and therefore” “I do” which means “Paul undertook, practiced, carried on with or was busy with, ” “that which I would not” or “the things Paul did not will, intend, resolve, determine and purpose”. Paul began his understanding of himself by presenting the condition that he did things he did not “intend or determine” to do.

The verse continues, “...I consent unto the law that it is good.” Paul added the words, “I consent” which means “Paul confessed and assented” “unto the law” which means “toward the rule that producing a state approved of God” “that it is good” or “that the law of God is excellent, choice, surpassing, precious, useful, suitable and commendable”. Since Paul knew that he did things he should not do, he “confessed” “God's law” as “excellent and commendable”.

When we meditate upon these words of Paul, we see how he agreed that the “law of God” is “righteous, excellent and precious”, however, he did not keep “the law”. Jesus Christ knew this way
is in every person. Everyone has a “sinful nature” that is contrary to “God's law”, and the only person who ever kept His “law” perfectly was Jesus Christ. By doing so, and dying on the cross for everyone in the world's “sin”, Jesus Christ forged the only way that is possible to have a relationship with God. All that is necessary to be “saved” and live everlasting with God is for a person to admit their “sinful nature”, repent of their sins and believe and trust in Jesus Christ as “Savior and Lord”.

Next time Paul tells his readers, “sin dwells in me”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.






No comments:

Post a Comment