Wednesday, October 9, 2019

No Good Thing in My Flesh Romans 7:18


Paul the apostle told the people in Rome, If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwells in me.”, and in chapter seven and verse eighteen of Romans, Paul told his readers, “in my flesh, dwells no good thing” where we read:

For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwells no good thing:
for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

The verse begins, For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwells no good thing:” Paul began with the word, “for” which means “even as, indeed, no doubt, seeing then, verily and therefore” “I know” which means “Paul understood, perceived, noticed, discerned and discovered” “that in me” or “that within Paul himself” “(that is” or “this is to say”, “in my flesh” which refers to “in Paul's body and earthly nature apart from divine influence and therefore prone to sin and opposed to God”), “dwells” or “resides, inhabits, remains and cohabits” “no good thing” which means “not one single useful, salutary, pleasant, agreeable, joyful, happy, excellent and distinguished benefit”. Paul recognized how there was nothing about his “body nature” that was “good” “pleasant, useful or excellent”.

The verse goes on to say, for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.” Paul added the word, “for” which means “even as, indeed, no doubt, seeing then, verily and therefore” “to will” which means “intention, resolve, determination, purpose and desire” “is present” or “is near and at hand” “with me” which refers to Paul himself; “but” which is a disassociation conjunction that means what is about to be written takes precedence over what was just stated “how to perform” which means “the way to accomplish, achieve, work out, fashion and render one fit for a thing” “that which is good” or “the thing that is useful, salutary, pleasant, agreeable, joyful, happy, excellent and distinguished” “I find not” which refers to “Paul did not discover, understand and detect”. Paul desired to do according to “the law of God”, however, he could not “discover” the way to do so.

When we consider these words of Paul, we may be able to relate to his words. When we examine ourselves, we may see that within our “flesh” there is “nothing good” either, and though we desire to keep God's word, we may find ourselves failing at it miserably. Jesus Christ came to the earth and fulfilled the “law of God”, and where we fail, He was successful. God desires for us to “believe and trust” in His Son Jesus who kept His “law” perfectly, and he promises “everlasting life” to every person who finds “no good thing” within themselves.

Next time Paul tells his readers, “the good that I would I do not”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.






No comments:

Post a Comment