Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Sin Dwells in Me Romans 7:17


Paul the apostle told the people in Rome,that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I”, and he added, “If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.” In chapter seven and verse seventeen of Romans, Paul told his readers, “sin dwells in me” where we read:

Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwells in me.

The verse begins, Now then it is no more I that do it, ...” Paul began with the words, “now then” which means “at this present moment and time therefore, accordingly, consequently and these things being so” “it is no more” which means “it is no longer or further” “I that do it” or “Paul who performed, accomplished, achieved and fashioned it”. Paul recognized the “sinful nature” within him was responsible for violating God's law which is called “sin”.

The verse continues, “... but sin that dwells in me.” Paul added the word, “but” which is a disassociation conjunction that means what is about to be written takes precedence over what was just stated “sin” which means “missing the mark, erring and being mistaken” “dwells” or “lives, abides, resides, occupies and cohabits” “in me” which refers to Paul himself. Paul shared how the “sinful nature” “lived” within his very being.

When we think through these words of Paul, we see how he desired to keep God's law, however, the “sin nature” within him was constantly violating it. “Sin” or this “sin nature” abides in every person, and this is why Jesus came to “save”. Jesus lived a perfect life and had no “sinful nature” within Him, and yet, He paid the “penalty” for “sin”, “death”, for everyone so He might bring everyone into right standing with God. When a person acknowledges or “confesses” their “sin nature” to God, repents of their “sins” and “believes and trusts” in Jesus Christ as their personal “Savior and Lord”, God not only gives them “salvation” by His grace, but also promises they shall live with Him for ever and ever.

Next time Paul tells his readers his conclusion when, “I do that which I would not”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.






No comments:

Post a Comment