Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Doing that I Allow Not and Hate Romans 7:15


Paul the apostle told the people in Rome,For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin”, and in chapter seven and verse fifteen of Romans, Paul told his readers how “that which I do I allow not...but what I hate, that do I” where we read:

For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

The verse begins, For that which I do I allow not:” Paul began with the words, “for” which means “even as, indeed, no doubt, seeing then, verily and therefore” “that which I do” which means “whatever Paul performed, accomplished, achieved and fashioned” “I allow not” or “Paul did not learn, know, get knowledge of, understand, perceive and be acquainted with”. Paul did not desire to “permit” the things that he did.

The verse continues, for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I” Paul added the words, “for” which means “even as, indeed, no doubt, seeing then, verily and therefore” “what I would” which means “the thing that Paul willed, intended, resolved, determined and purposed”, “that do I not” or “that Paul did not undertake, practice, carry on with or was busy with”; “but” which means “nevertheless, nonetheless, moreover and” “what I hate” or “that which Paul detested”, “that do I” which means “was the thing that Paul undertook, practiced, carried on with and was busy with”. Paul shared how he did not “resolve and intend” to do things he did, but rather “performed and practiced” things that he “detested”.

When we consider these words of Paul, we see the conflict residing inside him. He desired to do good things, and did not do them. He did not want to do things contrary to God's law, and yet, he did them. This is the battle within every person who longs to have a relationship with God. Though they desire to obey God, there seems to be something inside them that does not. That something is the “sinful nature” within every person. Jesus Christ came to “save” people from their “sinful selves” and provide for them eternal and everlasting life, and everyone who “believes and trusts” in Him may have their “sinful” lives put away.

Next time Paul tells his readers his conclusion when, “I do that which I would not”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.






No comments:

Post a Comment