Wednesday, October 9, 2019

The Good I Don't Do and the Evil I Do Romans 7:19


Paul the apostle told the people in Rome, For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwells no good thing:”, and he added, “for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.” In chapter seven and verse nineteen of Romans, Paul told his readers, “the good that I would I do not, but the evil...I do” where we read:

For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

The verse begins, For the good that I would I do not:” Paul began with the word, “for” which means “even as, indeed, no doubt, seeing then, verily and therefore” “the good” which means “the useful, salutary, pleasant, agreeable, joyful, happy, excellent and distinguished” “that I would” or “which Paul wanted to perform” “I do not” or “Paul did not perform, produce, construct, make ready or prepare the good he wanted”. Paul desired to do “good” things, but he did not do them.

The verse continues, but the evil which I would not, that I do.” Paul added the word, “but” which is a disassociation conjunction that means what is about to be written takes precedence over what was just stated “the evil” which means “the bad nature, not such as it ought to be, wrong, wickedness and destructive and baneful behavior” “which I would not” or “that Paul did not desire to do”, “that I do” which refers to “which Paul performed, produced, constructed, made ready and prepared”. Paul did “wicked” things that he did not “desire” to do.

When we meditate upon these words of Paul, we see his great dilemma. Though he desired to do “good”, he did “evil” instead. This was the “sinful nature” within him, and it exists in every person since Adam sinned in the garden of Eden. Jesus Christ knew this “nature” was in every person, and He did not come to “condemn” but rather to save. (See John 3:17) Jesus desires to “save” every person who will “believe and trust” in Him, and even though there is the contrasting desire and accomplishment within, Jesus Christ is able to forgive and cleanse every person who comes to Him.

Next time Paul tells his readers, “it is no more I that do it”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.






No comments:

Post a Comment