Wednesday, January 22, 2020

A Pillar in the Temple of God Revelation 3:12


John the apostle saw the vision of Jesus in chapter one of “Revelation”, and he began to write to the “seven churches in Asia”. He started with the church located in “Ephesus”, then the “church of Smyrna, the “church in Pergamos”, the “church in Thyatira”, “the church in Sardis” and “the church in Philadelphia” where He told them, Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which you have, that no man take your crown”, and in chapter three and verse twelve of Revelation Jesus told “him that overcomes” He will “make a pillar in the temple of my God” where we read:

Him that overcomes will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

The verse reads, Him that overcomes will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out:John began with the word, “Him” which refers to “the selfsame person whether male or female” “that overcomes” or “who carries off the victory, is victorious over all his foes and wins” “will I make a pillar” or “shall Jesus form and fashion as a column, prop or support” “in the temple” or “within the sacred edifice and shrine” “of my God” which refers to “pertaining to the Godhead bodily and trinity which is comprised of God the Father, Christ the Son and the Holy Spirit”, “and he shall go no more out” which means “and the person who is victorious will no longer forsake, escape, emanate and issue”. Jesus promised people who “overcome” to be like a “column and support” in God's worship center and that they shall never have to “escape” or leave the temple any more.

The verse continues, “and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, ...” John added the words, “and I will write” which means “and Jesus will delineate or form letters” “upon him” or “on the person who overcomes” “the name” or “everything which the name covers, everything the thought or feeling of which is aroused in the mind by mentioning, hearing and remembering” “of my God” which means “pertaining to the Godhead bodily and trinity which is comprised of God the Father, Christ the Son and the Holy Spirit”, “and the name” or “and everything which the name covers, everything the thought or feeling of which is aroused in the mind by mentioning, hearing and remembering” “of the city” which means “pertaining to the abode and living place” “of my God” or “of the only and true Deity”, “which is new Jerusalem” which refers to “that is the fresh, recent, unused and unworn splendid visible city to be let down from heaven after the renovation of the world, and the future abode of the blessed”. Jesus promised to put upon those who “overcome” “God's name” and His “city's name which is the new Jerusalem”.

Finally the verse says, “which comes down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.” John continued Jesus' words, “which comes down” or “that descends and is cast down” “out of heaven” which means “away from the region above the sidereal heavens, and the seat of order of things eternal and consummately perfect where God dwells and other heavenly beings” “from my God” or “separated and apart from the only and true Deity”: “and I will write” which means “and Jesus will delineate and form letters” “upon him” or “on the person who overcomes“my new name” which refers to “Jesus' fresh, recent, unused and unworn everything which the name covers, everything the thought or feeling of which is aroused in the mind by mentioning, hearing and remembering”. Jesus shared how the “new Jerusalem” would descend from God's Heaven and how He would “write His new name” upon “overcomers”.

When we think through John's words in this verse, we see how Jesus gives promises to people who “overcome” in this life. Jesus desires to give people access to God's temple with a “new name” that is like the name of “new Jerusalem” which shall come down “from heaven”. God wants to have a relationship with people that gives them access to Him, and when a person receives His Son Jesus as their personal “Savior and Lord”, He shall give them a “new name” and they shall not leave the presence of His “temple”. The “church of Philadelphia” received Jesus' promises, and those who are reading these words have opportunity to receive His promises as well.

Next time we see John share how Jesus tells the church in Philadelphia, “he that has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.






No comments:

Post a Comment