Friday, January 24, 2020

Jesus Standing at the Door and Knocking Revelation 3:20

John the apostle saw the vision of Jesus in chapter one of “Revelation”, and he began to write to the “seven churches in Asia”. He started with the church located in “Ephesus”, then the “church of Smyrna, the “church in Pergamos”, the “church in Thyatira”, “the church in Sardis”, “the church in Philadelphia” and finally the “church of the Laodiceans” where He told them, “As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent”. In chapter three and verse twenty of Revelation Jesus told the “church of the Laodiceans” “behold, I stand at the door and knock” where we read:

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door,
I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

The verse reads, Behold, I stand at the door, and knock:” John began with the word, “behold” which means “look and see”, “I stand” or “Jesus is firm, in place, put, fixed and established” “at the door” which refers to “at the vestibule, entrance way or passage”, “and knock” which means “and rap”. Jesus is “established and fixed” at the “entry way” and “raps” upon it to notify He is outside of it.

The verse goes on to say, “if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.” John added the words, “if any man” which means “in case any person whether male or female” “hear my voice” or “be endowed with hearing to attend to, consider, understand and perceive Jesus' sound, tone, language and tongue of uttered words”, “and open the door” which means “to make open the entry way or passage”, “I will come in to him” or “Jesus will arise, take possession and make entry into that person whether male or female”, “and will sup with him” which means “and will dine and take the principle meal with that person”, “and he with me” or “and that person with Jesus”. Jesus speaks as He is outside the “door” or “entry way” into a person's life, and if they “hear” Him and allow Him to come in, He will not only make entry but will also “dine” with them.

When we meditate upon John's words in this verse, we see how Jesus desires to come into the life of every person. He stands outside the “door” of everyone's heart and “knocks” while asking in their “hearts” to come in. When a person receives Jesus Christ as their personal “Savior and Lord”, they have opened the “entry way” of their lives and Jesus comes in with intimate fellowship such as “dining” with them. May all who read these words not only hear the “knocking of Jesus” and His wonderful “voice”, but also open the “door” to their hearts that He may set up His Kingdom within them.

Next time we see John share how Jesus tells the “church of the Laodiceans” “to him that overcomes will I grant to sit with me in my throne”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.





No comments:

Post a Comment